Manipulation through emitional acting?

by road to nowhere 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

We had a CO talk touching on resurrection, death, seeing family again. The brother went into scenarios about his family, complete with tears. I question getting that emotional every time he gives this talk. Is this a throwback to born again tent meeting behavior?

We had similar a few years back at the convention; black brother acting and talking like a TV shyster.

Both times everyone ate it up. Except me

• vienne
    vienne

I agree with you. Jesus did not preach that way. Neither did Paul. Acts 9:22 says that Paul's preaching was logical, not emotional.

"But Saul kept on acquiring power all the more and was confounding the Jews that dwelt in Damascus as he proved logically that this is the Christ" is how the NWT puts it. Proving is συμβιβάζων. It's usually just rendered proving without the added logically. But the basic meaning of the word is "to join together" implying a logical argument. While one can be logical and somewhat emotional, in Paul's preaching the logical part prevailed. So shouldn't Watchtower official copy that pattern?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

There was emotional acting by the JWs ages ago when I studied The Greatest Man book at the Tuesday house study.

There was emotional manipulation when Jesus got crucified. Some shit about iron nails hammered through flesh, tearing ligaments, etc.

Crazy shit worked on me at the time.

I guess I ain't the smartest guy

• Jerryh
    Jerryh

I never been JW but I have one (long story). I can distinguish when she is making robot eye contact vs. really looking at me as the real person with God given built in emotion.

Hey LoveUniHateExams when you had those feelings about the crucifixion I think you were "smart guy".

Robots don't love or hate, jus saying.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

'''Emotional'' acting exactly. Fits perfectly into the B.I.T.E. model. You just have to read Steven Hassens books.

• Gorb
    Gorb

Sect.

G.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Not much of a religion without the heart being involved. For that matter not much of a life without the heart involved.

I'm not denying that emotional acting can be manipulative, it can also be effective motivation, disarmingly persuasive. Good elocution demands reaching hearts not minds. The speaker was probably trying his best to convey what he felt to be valuable "truths". I don't fault him, I just disagree with him.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I fault him. Standing on the stage with tears running talking in a quivering voice about seeing parents reappear. Going to have a big house for them all. Then do it again next week.

Sounded more revival meeting. Alter march kind of bs.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I too get squirmy when emotions appears faked or forced. It's hard to do and requires real talent to do well.

I imagine the tears of anti-animal abuse advocates or antiabortion campaigners are real enough, even if they can be invoked by recounting the same stories over again. Again, I don't doubt the motives nor the effectiveness of showing passion for a subject. I may or may not agree with the conclusions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit