Do You Struggle With Depression???

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I know more persons that are depressed than I know that are not. Whether a person was a Witness or not, so many are affected with depression. I've read here that many JW's were on either regular medication or silently accepted their depression with much prayer and tears. Then, when they decided to stop believing in the Witness set of ideals, they gradually got out of their depression..........As of this point in time, do you feel depressed? Are you better than you were when you were an active Witness?........For the record, I do not suffer from depression but many in my family do.

• JH
    JH

No, but I guess that many do suffer from depression. I guess that you have to feel it to understand it, and that's why I don't understand it very much.

My father and sister are more or less depressed on occasion. I'm like my mother, always positive and strong and can go through anything in life.

• Swan
    Swan

No, it's not so much of a struggle anymore as it is occasional bouts. My doctors tried several different medications until they found the one that was right for me. That and therapy to work through my issues helped tremendously. Being able to express my thoughts and feelings here and be understood by others who have been through similar experiences is also of great help. I am so much happier in life that I have actually told people that "I never knew that life could be this good."

Tammy

• shamus
    shamus

Yes, I do.

It is somewhat under control at times, then comes back.. I have had it since 8 years old. Tried everything.

That is one of the main reasons why i joined the dubs - to find happiness! Some happiness...

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

Yup~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.

Antidepressants the key~~~~~~~~~~~~

OCW

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

As far as me I have answered this before.

? to JH: I wouldn' t be so quick to not understand and classify yourself a "positive" person. From what I've read of your numerous posts your not married, no children and don't you live with your parents?????? I mean in the scheme of things you haven't even started down the yellow brick road of life.

• blondie
    blondie
    Then, when they decided to stop believing in the Witness set of ideals, they gradually got out of their depression.

Clinical depression and the various types of bipolar depression are very treatable medical illnesses, it is a matter of taking medication and getting the proper counseling. To illustrate it, it would be like asking if someone's diabetes appeared because the became a JW or disappeared because they stopped being a JW.

Depression is not a "one size fits all" type of illness. There are many kinds, many causes, many treatments, many different responses to these treatments.

If you are depressed, inside or outside the JWs, go to a medical doctor or psychiatrist (medical doctor who treats mental illness) and get a diagnosis.

http://www.nmha.org/ccd/index.cfm

http://www.learn-about-depression.com/html/types_of_depression.php3

Blondie

• Shakita
    Shakita
    Depression is not a "one size fits all" type of illness. There are many kinds, many causes, many treatments, many different responses to these treatments.

So true, Blondie.

I personally do not suffer from clinical depression. I have my up and down days, but they can never compare to those that suffer every waking moment with this terrible condition.

Mrs. Shakita

• minimus
    minimus

Blondie, I'm glad you posted. I should've mentioned that some people suffer from "depression" simply because they were unhappy with the way their life was going. I have a brother that suffered from severe depression because he needed medication. But I also know of some that have said their "depression" seemed to suddenly vanish as did their taking of medication once they took control of their life.

• alias
    alias

I was diagnosed with clinical depression in my early 20s, a few years away from fading out.

The depression didn't disappear when I stopped being involved with the faith. However, the decreased demands of my time and energy from being a JW helped me to better manage the depression and take care of myself.

The biological imbalances weren't caused by the religion, but the anxiety and mental exhaustion that came with the JW schedule and expectations added to the heap.

Alia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit