Why I think the jw's are a cult and not a religion

by Ron1968 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    On this site the working definition for cult is "a religion I don't like."

It's not just this site. Virtually all non JWs think of them as a cult. I don't think so. I simply don't agree with them. I don't agree with Islam either. They put a lot of emphasis on Muhammed. Would you call them a cult? I don't agree with the Mormons. Are they a cult? Or Buddhasm. Like the JWs, it was founded by some guy who claimed to have achieved enlightenment. Are Buddhists a cult?

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Hi Pork Chop,

On this site the working definition for cult is "a religion I don't like."

LOL Thanks for the laugh, I needed one just now.

IW

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Any time, I always enjoy your posts.

• Ron1968
    Ron1968

Refiners,

Actually the blood issue was a hot topic with the jw's recently. I need to get the specifics, but in Europe, the jw's were about to lose out on their tax exempt status by being classified as a cult. One of the key issues involved was blood. What happened is that the jw's compromised some on the blood issue just so they wouldn't lose any $$$.

Ron

• heathen
    heathen

It seems it comes down to the money on alot of the WT decisions these days .This will be interesting to see how far they waffle on the blood issue because of the money.When it came to saving lives they couldn't care less but mention money and suddenly a whole new set of values surfaces .

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

DJ and Ron.

Ive been out of the church a long time, and to tell the truth the blood issue and the technicalities associated with it has never been something thats interested me overmuch. So I was curious as to what you thought. For sure your thinking seems reasonable to me.

Ive concocted my own personal interpretations regarding what constitutes a cult. I guess opinions about cults are as numerous as there are "experts" on the subject.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Ron,

Check out this: http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/euro_blood.htm

There the WT Society says it is a "personal choice" in Bulgaria as to whether a JW member accepts a blood transfusion.

This is doublespeak. If one makes that "personal choice", they are considered DA'd. So in reality there is no choice and no change in doctrine. The doublespeak was in order to gain official recognition as a religion in the nation of Bulgaria.

• Ron1968
    Ron1968

Wow, thanks Gopher! That is misleading by the jw's and deceitful, but not surprising either.

Ron

• be wise
    be wise

My brother was DF’d and it’s very different for both of us in this ‘religion’.

I faded and everyone is fine but they also know how I feel about it now – things can get a bit awkward now I’ve ‘come out’ but I am not shunned like he is – might as well be though, sometimes. I worry because my brother has been through so much with this crap and now he’s getting to know the truth he’s really healing and feeling better about things and his understanding of life but he is getting rather bitter about a lot of stuff which is totally understandable.

I hope it’s a phase he can come through and start to see the bigger picture but like I say it’s disgusting how this cult breaks up families and not just that but robs families of any sort of true love. I meet all different classes of people but they all seem to have that basic family instinct that a lot of us brought up as JWs, just don’t posses.

Is it a cult?

I think we can all answer that without much doubt.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I like this essay, which covers both sociological and religious definitions.

http://www.gospelcom.net/apologeticsindex/c09.html#defcults

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit