Getting Baptized, did you really want to, or did you feel extreme pressure?

by run dont walk 34 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

Felt the pressure; I was told I must get baptized before getting married in the hall.

This was a new hall to me, as I had moved out when I was 18. I am suprised that I was not pressured too much before that.

• undercover
    undercover

I was pressured. Everyone my age was getting baptized at 14 and 13. I didn't. I felt like "if" I got baptized it would be something I did after graduating school. I was not ready to "dedicate" my life just yet. But the pressure kept getting put on me, "You're the only one your age not baptized." "You're 15 years old, that's old enough to make start making important decisions." "Don't you love Jehovah?" I consented and got baptized at 15 1/2. I knew I wasn't ready. To this day when I see kids under the age of 16 getting baptized I feel a little sadness for them, because in most cases, deep down they know they aren't ready and they are being pressured.

There's a law that states something about anyone under 17 can't be held liable for a contract they sign. I wonder if that applies to baptism contracts?

• obiwan
    obiwan

Pressured? Nah, I just did it to make my mom happy, now she'd be pissed !

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

Yep, I was pressured. I did it more for my mom's sake.

• d
    d

I was pressured and I was only 16 it started off slowly at 14.Think goodness I did not do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit