What are people/parent so scared of in life, that makes them join the JW's?

by run dont walk 11 Replies latest jw friends

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

I asked my mom this recently, and did not get an answer ..... she just said because it's the truth, and became very flustered.

Death ???

kids falling into drugs ???

pregnancy ???

loneliness ???

What do you think ???

• yxl1
    yxl1

IMO, I think a lot people join religious groups because of their fear of dying. I think if there was no promise of some form of everlasting existance, most people wouldnt bother.

• mann377
    mann377

Religion supplies answers to questions that science can't and most people view religion as an insurance policy for the here after.

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

I agree with yxl1. Religion began to help people explain the unexplainable, but now that we know why eclipses happen, why drought happens, what causes death and illness, it's fear that keeps a lot of people in these religions. We all want to know what comes after, and it makes some kind of logical sense that if you're 'good' in this life you get a great reward, if you're bad, you get punished, so people are attracted to a regimented set of rules that allows them to be 'good' without having to think for themselves.

Silverleaf

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

JWs stay in the religion because they don't have the ability to lead their own lives. They have no self-control which keeps getting them into trouble. They need a leader, and the Watchtower has the bait to draw people in. It's just like teasing a puppy with a treat. That puppy will follow you as long as you keep letting him sniff the treat and holding it above his head.

• jws
    jws

Some people's lives suck so badly that anything that offers hope is attractive and they'll fall for it. Same reason (at least in my observation) that poor people seem to play the lottery a lot more than others. And (in my observations) these same areas also seem to have the largest congregations.

I also think that some do join out of fright, it's due to fright that is manufactured by the JWs. You may look at the world and see it's problems and have some concern. But then somebody comes to your door telling you (falsely) that earthquakes, famines, disease, wars, and all these scary things have all been on the increase since 1914. If you don't research it and put it all in perspective, you won't know any better. Now they tell you that this means Jesus is about to rule and that you have to follow a plan or be destoryed. It's a life or death decision put before you and it scares you.

So, part of it's hype. If you never bought into their premises, you probably wouldn't be living life all that scared.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Run don't walk: For me it was wanting the best for my children. If I could give them everlasting life by hoofing it from house to house then BY GOD, I would.I know I was wrong now, hell just writing this makes me cry. I wanted to give them hope and forever. Instead I fucked up their childhool oh yea me. What is the old adage "The best of intentions....

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

My mum was brought up a Catholic and she was really scared of dying, the thought of Hell and child purgatory etc.

When a nice witness lady knocked on the door and told her that she would never have to die. That was it.

I asked my mum the other day if she ever thought she would get to 53 and she said no, but she still believes the WT society totally.

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

Gutsy answer SheilaM,

that was the kind of answer I was looking for from my parents/family

But they will go to their grave believing all the JW garbage, regardless of how much I prove ...

There is nothing WORSE, then people that agree with your ideas/viewpoint and don't change a thing. I guess they have reached that DREADED stage in life where "I have spent my whole life in the Watchtower, IT HAS TO BE TRUE."

At least you can admit to it, and move on to make your life/kid's life better.

We all make maistakes daily, it takes a real person to admit, "maybe I was wrong."

If Simon had an award for best reply of the day, you would win hands down.

Well, enjoy the rest of your time, and your kid's too, and I'm sure grandkids too (someday)

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

RDW: I will try this again first post went blank Thunder and I do have two grown kids 18 and almost 21 and one grandbaby Makayla who is 1year and six days old.Yes we had a wonderful birthday for her

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit