U.S. Supreme Court Denies Watchtower’s Certiorari Plea

by Jerome56 25 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Jerome56
  • Jerome56
    Jerome56

Gilbert Simental, a former elder of the Mountain View California congregation, abused 3 young girls including the plaintiff who goes by the initials J.W. at a pool party at his home in 2006. During the trial, in order to show how the society handles abuse allegations, the plaintiff requested the Watchtower society to produce its records of known child abusers. Watchtower refused. Because of that the judge ruled that Watchtower should pay over 4 million dollars to the plaintiff. Watchtower appealed to the U. S. Supreme Court on the grounds that its first amendment rights were violated. The appeal was denied.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

oh oh Watchtower!

Related image

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Another victory however small at the moment for the irwin Zalkin law firm.

I think it was on the basis of the WT claiming clergy penitent privilege ?

Kiwiboy has also posted about this case .

Thank you Jerome56

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

So nice to waken up to good news!

Seeing legal wounds continuing to be inflicted on the WTBTS is heartwarming.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Smiddy 3 said " Another victory however small at the moment for the irwin Zalkin law firm."

The lawyers against the WT/JW Org were Pine Tillett Pine , I am not sure of a connection to Zalkin's Firm,but you are right in that Zalkin not only has handled a number of cases, and many more to come I believe, but on You Tube has explained in detail what the problems are with the JW Org's attitude to Abuse Victims and to their Cases. I am sure his work and words have been of great value to other lawyers. More info on this case and others is to be found on JW Survey.

• sir82
    sir82

Another anti-WT precedent.

Betcha this one doesn't make "Proclaimers Vol. 2".

• blondie
    blondie

A journey of a 1,000 miles starts with a single step.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    Because of that the judge ruled that Watchtower should pay over 4 million dollars to the plaintiff.

They'll probably hold one day A$$emblies every month until that little annoyance from Satan, is cleared up.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Phizzy

I clicked on the link Jerome56 provided ,and if you click on the blue "proof of Service " you will see not only Pine Tillet Pine come up but also Irwin Zalkins law firm named .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit