More thoughts on war

by l3gi0n 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I think that it's the "your with us or agaist us" politics that concern ost of us in America. War is unfortunately probably going to be with us for a long time. The fact that we desire peaceful resolution to differences does not erase that fact that a few people act more like rabid dogs that need to be put down. If the international community gets it's act together and creates a more effective forum for intervention before these mad dog types can gather armies, war will be less an issue. When on rare occasions it becomes necesssary, war in these situations will be short lived and contained. This latest Iraq war was a tragic blow to international peace efforts. It is more and more apparent that personal adgendas and narrow political views drove our leaders to a war that should not have happened. America was sleeping and far too trusting. Much like the conditions within the JWs.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Oh, yeah, ThiChi...the US has always been absolutely blameless and has never done anything dishonorable or even criminal...

For instance, we never took out legally elected governments in the "banana republics" and replaced those leaders with people who were on a moral par with Hitler and Mussolini at the request of US corporations who had intrests in those countries...no, we never did anything like that

Edited to add: Lest anyone think that I'm not "patriotic" because I find fault with the behavior of the US government, you couldn't be farther from the truth. I love my country, but that doesn't mean I'm blind to the faults of those who have been in power in the past (not to mention the present). I have high standards, too, and that includes high standards for the behavior of my government, which are, sadly, often not met. I am justifiably proud of the actions and behavior of many of my countrymen, including members of the military, who have behaved in a heroic and moral way. But that does not mean that I think I have to pretend that those in power have always been heroic and moral. As former JWs, many of us know the danger of covering up or hiding wrongdoing on the part of those in power. I have widened that to include, not only religious leaders, but government leaders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit