My unlikely trip from the Great Lakes of Ontario to the Rockies of B.C.

by Eric 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

You're right Ray - I quite like how 'big' the sky looks when we're on the plains in Alberta and it's probably just as nice there. I do like the mountains though and having some bends to drive round ... makes me feel more like home.

I remember when we were little driving from Edmonton to Fort McMurry and it being at least 5+ hours. You could see the road straight as a pencil going off into the distance and trees everywhere. Awesome.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Calamity

Guess i was going too fast for scenery, and there is so little in the way of services. I mean wilderness. Though i always stopped at kenora. It's really beatiful around there. Also i used to have friends there, back when i was a dub.

SS

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

LOL SS, you must have been going the speed of light if you missed that beautiful scenery. Next time slow down and enjoy

cj

• Eric
    Eric

Thanks to all for responding!

The windy roads are what I live for. "Twisty bits", I call 'em. On the weekends I will ride hours away from Toronto for 30 minutes sections of satisfying "Twisty bits".

Indeed the point of making this trip on my bike is that I could not bear to be in B.C. with all those fabulous mountain roads around without my trusted aluminum steed by my side, ready to gallop off with me wherever I may choose.

On my way out the Marathon to Calgary sector will be taken head down, throttle open, radar detector on, TCH1 lane stripes reducing to mere dots as I occasionally glance up and remind myself, "Yup, big sky alrighty." On the way back, nowI'm going to find out what a "pig-tail hill" is all about.

When I was 7 years old my parents "moved to where the need was great" and located about 100 miles or so west of Jasper AB. There are roads out there that I've been aching to try on a motorcycle for years. That is why I haved booked a month off to make this trip.

And I'm going to get to see my Gandma, by my calculations 101 years old now, but from what i've heard still full off piss and vinegar, and still scoffing at the "generation that saw 1914" doctrine.

I am so stoked about this trip.

Thanks again to everyone,

Eric

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Eric

xjw_b12 sent you a e-mail this a.m. If your in our vicinity of Thunder Bay within the next few days,please feel free to visit us. We will be home on the weekend, plus next week after work, if we know when abouts you would be in our area, we could give you the guest bedroom, supper and breakfast to get you on your way for the next day. We'd love to put you up for the night if you require it.

We are just about two minutes from the highway you will be on, you will not have to go out of your way to get to us. One left turn and then a right turn and that's it. Hope to see you on your excursion

I will send you a p.m. right now also with phone numbers.

cj and xjw_b12

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit