Doubting Thomas - A Real Hero !

by Amazing 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Have you longed to at least get some response from God, some small indication from him that he really listens, cares, or is just simply THERE?

The vast majority on this forum have likely struggled with many issues regarding God, Christ, the Bible, history, truth, religion, the foundations of Christianity, agnosticism, and atheism. Just have many have prayed in earnest for years for guidance, wisdom, help, mercy, compassion, and a real relationship with God.

Yet for all the years and tears, faithful service, guilt, pain, and suffering, we find ourselves empty handed and many here are also rejected by their lifelong JW Friends and family. We have few answers, and we learn to feel some contentment with fellow ex-JWs ... just accepting life as it is - yet, many likely still wonder if God will ever answer.

Some have turned to various churches, only to be told that God has answered their prayers, but the answer is really "No." And then they go on to say flippantly: What part of "No" do you not understand? This is supposed to be a plausible comfort - but honestly I find such reasoning silly and sick.

Is God really a "father" or not? And if so, does he give a rats rectum about me? I still don't know, but I do have an idea, or better yet, at least someone to point to as an example.

He was not so easily persuaded or convinced without evidence to support the claims. You may recall that when it was reported Jesus had risen, Thomas, or better stated "Saint Thomas" seriously doubted this, and demanded that he see Christ risen, and that he could place his hands in the nail holes to be convinced. He was a kind of Christian Agnostic - that is he was not convinced until he could see solid evidence from Jesus himself.

Did Jesus Christ ridicule St. Thomas? No. He did commend those in the future who would act out of pure faith, without proof, as being blessed. Just how they were blessed, or if their blessing was greater than that of St. Thomas is anyone's guess ... but Jesus did not elaborate, so it could not have been that great or important.

Jesus rewarded St. Thomas. His doubt did not cost him any really important blessing. No, he became a Saint ... got to go to heaven, and is among the co-rulers with Christ, however you define that lofty position. The important thing is this:

St. Thomas DOUBTED ... and DEMANDED PROOF! And by GAWD, he got it ... a damn sight more than what most of the rest of us ever got by faith alone. St. Thomas did not demand proof or reasoning or truth from any church organization or another human, or a Holy Book ... No, Thomas took the direct approach and demanded it of Christ himself, the Son of God ... and Jesus accommodated his demands and doubts.

Henceforth, I declare myself to be of the "Doubting Thomas Class " ... and demand some proof from the Lord Jesus Christ himself that he is still there, still cares, and is planning on doing something to help humanity through its serious struggles. Until I hear from Christ himself, I don't believe any of it. Thank goodness for Doubting Thomas, a true religious Hero - a person who was not a Brain-dead idiot. - Jim W.

• larc
    larc

Jim,

I have gone through all of these thoughts that you describe. As a result, I have become an agnostic. I am not saying that, that should be your path. I am saying, that for me, I just don't know, and I can't figure it out, so I have stopped trying to figure it out. I just try to live my life the best I can. I try to maximize my strengths and minimize the effects of my weaknesses. That is the best I can do.

If there is a God, I don't know if he grades on a curve, or what the cut off score is, so I just get by as best I can, and hope for the best, as I think you do, as well.

Take care, my good friend.

• setfreefinally
    setfreefinally

Going to be at brci this year Amazing?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Maybe we could start a church of the doubting thomases. Every sunday we could call on jesus to make a showing. I wonder how long before it disbanded?

One christian history book said that clocks were invented by christians to help them to know when to change shifts of night watching for jesus to come. That's right, churches (maybe it was monasteries) had someone on the watch 24/7 for jesus' 2nd coming. That was over a thousand yrs ago.

However, to be honest, there is a book about jesus appearances. It's full of accounts of people who claim to have seen/experienced jesus w their own eyes. I don't know what to make of that. But one thing is sure, there is no good reason for anyone to become a christian unless he has personally met and conversed w jesus. If there were only those kinds of christians, how many would there be in the world?

SS

• gumby
    gumby

SS,

....( not many ).....Shelbys the only one of on this board I know of who makes the claim ( theres a few others I suppose but not many ).....but she is a very small minority.

Jim,

You sound like myself......and a whole mess of us here.

I have to wonder if we would have never been dubs......would we feel this empty about this subject? If we were raised baptist.....then quit them.......would we be like this? I personally really sruggle with is there a god who loves me or not? I can't get over the miracles of life that we see, but beyond that, have no connection with our supposed father. Why doesn't he communicate in a way in which WE KNOW he's communicating.

Anyways.... I was getting off the subject a bit, I guess I just wonder if our obsession with what life is all about is more extreme than others from our being dubs?

Gumby

Edited to add that shelby hasn't made the claim she met him...only that he directs her.....directly. At least I don't think she has.

• wasasister
    wasasister

Of this I have no doubt:

It's good to have you back posting again. Hope you are well.

Wasa - Thomas' Little Sister

• donkey
    donkey

Amazing,

How can you be friends with Larc and me? I demand you choose between us...

It is great to see you and I agree that Thomas was supposedly rewarded for his lack faith...however, he has been with Jesus in person when Jesus had supposedly raised the dead, changed British Beer into Guiness etc. So if Thomas and Jesus were truly real characters of history Thomas had at least been witness to miracles...he was no stranger to them, and yet he still doubted and still needed to be shown the truth.

We on the other hand have seen zero, zip, squat, nada.....and yet we are now expected to have greater faith than Thomas...what the heck?

God if you do show yourself, please have some damn good apologies in hand too because you are a dead-beat dad of the first degree!!!! If a fleshly father abandoned his kids and chose not to reunite with them because of his ego....would the kids accept him as their father in their later years?

Jack

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi Amazing,

I feel the same way about the search for God or Jesus. When I was trying to get a grip on my feelings about God and truth I prayed and cried, asking God to help me understand. So far all I have received is this feeling that maybe God is out there somewhere but I feel we are just a part of nature which seems to be without any direction form a loving God. I'm still waiting.........

Ken P.

• gumby
    gumby
    I'm still waiting.........

You might as well find some nice books to read while your waiting as you'll be waiting for awhile ken.

The only ones who get answers.........are the "special ones" here that god directly communicates with.You'll have to go to them for amswers cuz god doesn't talk to you and I.

Gumby

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Amazing. Good Thread.

I side with Larc on this one. Pretty well sums it up for me. I'm not going to beat myself up over whether god exists or not. I tend to believe he was there once, but now he's gone, or abandoned us.

I doubt I'll ever see him make an appearance, but it be nice if he'd tried to reunite with his abandoned children, cause he's got some explaining to do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit