I have 5 Audible credits I need to use up. Recommendations?

by nicolaou 17 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Non-fiction. Something to make me think or laugh. I've done the Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris thing and as much as I rate them I'd like to move off at a tangent . . . somewhere. Always enjoy philosophy or even something with a theological bent.

I'm coming to the end of Heretic by Ayaan Hirsi Ali and can thoroughly recommend it.

C'mon guys, don't let me down

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Awww, c'mon . . . .
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    What's an audible credit? Is it something that Amazon offers?
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Audible.com is an Amazon company that sells an audio book service. If you have a job where you're free to listen for extended periods of time I'd highly recommend it.
  • the truth is mine
    the truth is mine
    Have you tried Richard Carrier? I have always enjoyed his debates and lectures so I tried his books. On the Historicity of Jesus is his newest and audibile has it available. If mythisist theory does not interest you he also has a book Sense and Goodness Without God which I thought looked interesting.
  • Scully
    Scully

I really enjoyed

"A Manual for Creating Atheists" by Peter Boghossian

"The God Virus" by Darrel Ray

"Zealot" by Reza Aslan

"The Better Angels of Our Nature" and "The Blank Slate" by Steven Pinker

"Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

"The End of Faith" by Sam Harris

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Thanks ttim, I have looked at Carrier and probably will go for On the Historicity of Jesus. Some nice suggestions Scully. Never heard of Darrel Ray, will check him out . .
  • Finkelstein
  • Finkelstein
  • bohm
    bohm

Something by Steven Pinker you have not read already. "The history of western philosophy" by Bertrand Russell (surprisingly funny).

I would not recommend the two recent books by Richard Carrier. I am struggling to get through "on the historicity of jesus" and IMO they are both poorly written and the first book, "Proving history", asserts many things which are false.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit