Syrian conflict

by Holden Caufield 12 Replies latest social current

• Holden Caufield
    Holden Caufield

I feel that Assad even though he is bad is a better alternative then Islamic extremist taking power. What do you think?

• hybridous
    hybridous

You really gotta wonder about further efforts to destabilize countries in the Middle East - just to make room for ISIS (et al.)...

Now that we all know the typical and likely flow of events...why would it be good to have this Assad character gone, in favor of some other savage murderers?

Qui Bono?

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

It was all about getting a gas pipeline from Qatar into Europe to compete with Russian gas, Assad said no.

RB

• Holden Caufield
    Holden Caufield

I feel that he is secular and look at Libya after Gaddifi it is worse off these strongman leaders kept the country stable.

• cofty
    cofty

Assad is a monster on par with the greatest tyrants of modern history.

The OP presents a false dichotomy

• Holden Caufield
    Holden Caufield

Under Assad Muslims and Christians lived together in peace. I am not saying he is good but I would prefer him over any other person and the U.S needs to stay out of this conflict its not our fight.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I'm not defending anyone, but the next person could be much worse.

• Holden Caufield
    Holden Caufield

Exactly look at Libya.

• stillMS
    stillMS

Assad no doubt is a tyrant (like many others today). But the actual reason for this war is nailed down by resolute Bandicoot. It's just another Russian mafia's warfare for it's 'right' to live off the gas and oil resources (selling them to Europe).

The rest (Islamism, secularism, etc) is just words.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Bashar al-Assad is a tyrant who kidnaps, abuses and massacres his own people so it's understandable that many Syrians want him gone.

They went about it the wrong way, or it started out well and then turned bad as the Islamist Head-choppers became prominent.

And what about the Kurds? They've fought bravely to gain some kind of independence. It would be an absolute travesty if they were to lose that - either to al-Assad or to the Turkey-backed Islamist groups. Either way it would be terrible for them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit