USA: NYPD undercover cop resigns as he struggles with grief from killing innocent man

by darkspilver 12 Replies latest jw friends

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

From The New York Daily Post - Tuesday 21 February 2017, page 14

The headline in the newspaper is: Exclusive - Cop quits in grief - Undercover traumatized over killing innocent man

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nypd-quits-grief-killing-innocent-man-article-1.2977727

NYPD undercover cop resigns as he struggles with grief from killing innocent man

An undercover cop who fatally shot a bystander during a gun-buy operation has resigned from the NYPD — too distraught to remain on the force, the Daily News has learned.

The former detective, who sources say suffers from posttraumatic stress disorder, left the NYPD in October with a tax-free disability pension. He now lives out of state after being a city cop for a decade.

He wasn’t charged in the 2015 shooting of 61-year-old Felix Kumi. And earlier this month, the NYPD ruled the shooting did not violate department guidelines.

“But the fact is he killed an innocent man,” said a police source familiar with the investigation. “That’s extremely difficult to deal with.”

Kumi, who was walking nearby, was hit twice by errant bullets in the Aug. 28, 2015, incident. A married father of two and devout Jehovah’s Witness, he died at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx the next day.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nypd-quits-grief-killing-innocent-man-article-1.2977727

See also:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nypd-chief-shot-bystander-mount-vernon-article-1.2343911

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/family-mt-vernon-bystander-killed-sting-sue-nyc-article-1.2757061

And also see:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5185901651034112/_post/6332375390748672

• blondie
    blondie

So if that guy he shot had been Catholic,it wouldn't have bothered the cop? Less if it had been a Catholic or Protestant man?

I think it is that he shot a man who was an innocent bystander.

Now if the man had been going door to door................

• Simon
    Simon

"did nothing wrong"? He fired 21 shots and only hit his target with 3 of them and an innocent bystander with 2. Did the lack of return fire in all that time not tell him something?

This "empty the clip" policing is terrible.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

blondie: So if that guy he shot had been Catholic,it wouldn't have bothered the cop? Less if it had been a Catholic or Protestant man?

In the post title I replaced the last word 'man' with 'JW' - this was to make it more obviously relevant in terms of news to this specific forum.

But I'm listening to you..... I have therefore edited the post title back to the generic 'man' as per the web article, but have now bolded the section of the news article that highlights that the innocent bystander who died was a JW.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The former detective, who sources say suffers from posttraumatic stress disorder, left the NYPD in October with a tax-free disability pension. He now lives out of state after being a city cop for a decade.

That's the sentence that sums it up entirely. He found a "free lunch". TAX FREE disability pension. Lives out of state where there is cheaper cost of living than NYC.

Just another moocher on society.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

DoC, if I could put more than one dislike on your post, I would.

Do you know anyone who suffers with PTSD? Ask them if they would trade that "free lunch" for a life without disability.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Unfortunately the above posted links don't say much about the medical treatment Mr. Kumi received. All I could find was this information: "A married father of two and devout Jehovah’s Witness, he died at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx the next day."

No doubt the doctors did all they could to save him. But what if , due to JW regulations, Mr. Kumi refused a medical procedure that could have saved his life, would he not also share responsibility for his own death?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

An undercover cop who fatally shot a bystander during a gun-buy operation has resigned from the NYPD — too distraught to remain on the force, the Daily News has learned.

Kumi, who was walking nearby, was hit twice by errant bullets in the Aug. 28, 2015, incident. A married father of two and devout Jehovah’s Witness..

Someone should tell the cop not to worry..

JW`s will be resurrected in the WBT$ "New System..

Go Ahead Shoot Me..

I`M A JEHOVAHS WITNESS!!..
    Image result for bullets bouncing off superman

• zeb
    zeb

I was diagnosed with PTSD.

Just last night having dreams of things from a generation ago.

Until you have been in that situation where lethal force is flying about you please don't criticise. To all I strongly recommend please read..'Deadly Force Encounters' x Artwohl and Christensen. ISBN 13:978-0-87364-935-3 and

'Mortal Combat x Grossman.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

All disability payments/pensions are tax free.

It's not like "tax free" distinguished it from a taxed disability pension.

Disability is and always has been tax free.

That's like saying I went to buy tax free groceries. Well, duh.

Why journalists add shit like that, I have no idea.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit