Comparison of Jan 14 and 15 days texts

by helpmeout 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• helpmeout
    helpmeout

I couldn’t help but notice the juxtaposition of the day text for Jan 14 and 15. The first is about following the disfellowshipping decree, the second is about showing compassion. I ask you, “If an active JW were to miss following both of these texts, which one would they most likely be counseled on?”

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

James 3:9,10 says about the tongue:

"With it we praise Jehovah, the Father, and yet with it we curse men who have come into existence “in the likeness of God.”. Out of the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, it is not right for things to happen this way."

The WTBTS is very much like a snake...it speaks with a forked tongue!

Very good find helpmeout!

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Yes the bible is that proverbial "old fiddle" that you can play any tune on!

just saying!

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Jehovah's Witnesses would say that disfellowshipping is an act of compassion, obviously I don't agree with that and I'm sure you don't agree with that, but for them that's not a paradox, that's not a problem. Disfellowshipping is a 'loving provision,' remember, they published an article with that title just a year or two back. The rationale being that if they shun somebody long enough they'll come back and it's only by coming back that they won't die a horrible death at Armageddon beneath a reign of fiery meteorites. It's a sick way to see a cruel practice, but that's how they see it (most of them at least if they follow that 'counsel').

• steve2
    steve2

JW organization's reframing of disfellowshipping as 'loving discipline from Jehovah' is a warped marvel of Orwellian double-speak.

In everyday language and circumstances, the act of deliberate shunning is viewed as a form of punishment and/or rejection that is designed to signal severe disapproval and to personally hurt the person who is shunned. No way does it "naturally" occur to people that shunning is an act of compassion - unless you have succumbed to a high-control religion's word games.

• blisterfeet
    blisterfeet

Direct conflict in th website...

jw.org faq on shunning

What of a man who is disfellowshipped but whose wife and children are still Jehovah’s Witnesses? The religious ties he had with his family change, but blood ties remain. The marriage relationship and normal family affections and dealings continue.

daily text Jan 14

Despite our pain of heart, we must avoid normal contact with a dis- fellowshipped family member by telephone, text messages, letters, e-mails, or social media.

Define “normal”

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

This what happens when you try emulate the social psychological standards of an civilizations that existed 3000 years ago, there has been much more learned about human psychology since those times.

In a matter fact in today's understanding and acceptance is that if an individual's actions or behavior is harmful to themselves and others, attention should be directed given to that person so that they can see the error of their ways , not to shun and abandon them, this is not love, this is irresponsibility.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Hey Fink.

You described it beautifully.

It is completely irresponsible for a jw parent, in particular to wipe their hands of their own children if they get disfellowshipped.

It is still happening in my own family to one of my siblings decades after the event. At what point do parents get to absolve themselves from blame for how their children turn out? It makes me sick.

The exact opposite is the love and support I have witnessed in so called worldly parents that support and care for their own kids when they struggle in life.

• steve2
    steve2

In JWland there is no room for the prodigal son or daughter.

• Half banana
    Half banana

That's right Steve, compassion my foot. In JW land it's obey! or we'll apply psychological torture to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit