Something I was never told about JW's.....

by Algun Otro 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Algun Otro
    Algun Otro

.... those meetings are SOOOOOOOO boring. And don't get me started on the 3 days of hell I just spent at the district convention. (actually, if there isn't really a "hell", then it was 3 days of "non-existence") Ok, Ok, I get it.... as a Witness, I should "give God glory", and make sure everything I do is being done in the glory of God.... but I don't need 3 days to get that point across. And how do they pick these speakers? Jeez, I think I slept for a good hour today, because the guy was just reading.

In one of my education classes in college, there was a study on effective ways to teach.... and the "speaker reading to an audience" format was the LEAST effective. The Ministry School idea is good, and the "question/answer" format is okay.

which brings me to the silliness of the Watchtower study... I get so amused when a paragraph reads something like "Jesus is the Son of God" and the question at the bottom is "Who is the Son of God?". And it seems likes there's always that long-winded guy whose answer lasts 5 minutes.... serioulsy, just say "Jesus" and move on.

But back to my main idea.... it's BORING. I remember going to my first meeting with my wife (raised a JW), I thought that there'd be some chicken heads cut off or something. I mean, why aren't there any windows in the Kingdom Hall? They must be trying to hide something. (But no, it just saves on building/ heating/cooling cost... yawn.) And the public talk was given by a guy with a lisp.

I just don't see the appeal. Of course, I also don't think the Bible is infallible and perfect.

But I AM thinking about getting baptized.... cuz damn, the JW's offer a better "network" than A.A. And having some built-in clients would kinda be cool.

Sorry I'm rambling. This is my first post here.... and I became interested after one of the speakers at the convention mentioned how horrible the interent was to JW's. And of course, the first thing I did was go look up "apostate" sites. I also don't understand apostates.... why not just stop going to meetings and hanging out with JW's? Why do people feel the need to leave in some spiritual "blaze of glory"? I mean, just stop going.... and you'll just be hassled by occasional visits and phone calls.... so get a peep-hole and Caller ID.

Alright, done rambling now

How is everyone?

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

LOL! Great post!

This is my first post here.... and I became interested after one of the speakers at the convention mentioned how horrible the interent was to JW's. And of course, the first thing I did was go look up "apostate" sites.

I am happy you were brave enough to see for yourself.

I also don't understand apostates.... why not just stop going to meetings and hanging out with JW's? Why do people feel the need to leave in some spiritual "blaze of glory"? I mean, just stop going.... and you'll just be hassled by occasional visits and phone calls.... so get a peep-hole and Caller ID.

Many ex-JWs do exactly that. That is what I did!

Welcome to the board!

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

For us apostates (so-called), it's easy to say just walk away. But the harassment continues for a lifetime especially from family, I walked away 15 years ago and my mom calls and still says are you thinking about going back.

They (the Watchtower) ruined my family life, for what, a bunch of BS doctrines that make no sense (1914, Armageddon, shunning, who to associate with, etc etc etc)

If they have the (divine) right to ruin my life with my family, I HAVE THE RIGHT TO FIGHT BACK, and show what the Watchtower really is .........

- a multi-billion dollar a year organization

- full of contradictions (UN, child molesters, RAND CAM, 1914 BS)

- so many levels and divisions it is impossible for the true JW to move up the ranks accordingly, now that all the annoited are dying off they changed their stance a little.

do you have kids, if they decide not to be a JW what are YOU going to do ???????

ask yourself that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• hippikon
    hippikon

Welcome you rebel you - nice to have you aboard

why not just stop going to meetings and hanging out with JW's? Why do people feel the need to leave in some spiritual "blaze of glory"? I mean, just stop going....

Most do just stop going - this place is therapy.

• shamus
    shamus

More like if you become jdud, and have kids, and you get df'd, they'll never talk to you again. It's a dangerous cult and I really think that you need to think this one out. There are lots of people on this board whom have lost entire families to the hype.

Really think about it... if you're not baptised, they can't touch you. Enjoy christian freedom!

LOL about your comment on the stupid questions and answers.... they can go on for hours when the answer is "Jesus". And on and on and on and on and on and on.....

Welcome to the board, BTW!

• Gopher
    Gopher

Algun,

Welcome to the board. I hope you'll hang around here and being to understand us better.Because you said:

I also don't understand apostates....

There's a lot of reasons it's not easy to just 'let go' of it. It depends in part if you were raised in this organization from birth (like I was), or if you came in and out of it as an adult and as such may not have been "affected" by the doctrines and the lack of love (despite their preaching all about love).

It also depends on whether you have family in or not. You realize that if you ever express disagreement with any facet of Watchtower teaching, you become subject to interrogation by the elders and possible disfellowshipment. That means you lose all your social structure and your family. They all treat you as if you were d-e-a-d. As you read this forum, you'll come to realize how cruel and unchristian this disfellowshipping practice is. Suffice it to say that it is the equivalent of being "kicked to the curb" when you are at the weakest point in your life. Some help that is.

Keep reading this forum, and get a sense for what it's about. Most of us have been in the organization and were once as excited about the presentation the JW's make as you are now. We've been on both sides of the fence. We realize there is a steep price to pay for involvement in the JW's. I won't detail all of it, perhaps other posters will add on to this. But if you read through this forum with an open mind, you'll see what I mean.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Welcome Algun Atro!

Something I was never told about JW's.....

Believe me there is more than the boring meetings and boring speakers you haven't been told! Please read as much as you can possibly make yourself read here and other apostate websights, I urge you to do this especially if you are seriously considering getting babtized! More than:

a better "network" than A.A. And having some built-in clients would kinda be cool.

is at stake here, like try your sanity! Try giving yourself a chance at a real life and not a life dictated by a cult and boring old men of the WTS!

and I became interested after one of the speakers at the convention mentioned how horrible the interent was to JW's. And of course, the first thing I did was go look up "apostate" sites. I also don't understand apostates.... why not just stop going to meetings and hanging out with JW's? Why do people feel the need to leave in some spiritual "blaze of glory"? I mean, just stop going.... and you'll just be hassled by occasional visits and phone calls.... so get a

Point one please understand they don't want you to know the truth about the "troof"! But there is plenty of it out here in cyberspace, do yourself a favor and check out as much as possible!

Why don't we just stop going to meetings, wish it were that simple, that cut and dry, and if it was there would be no need for sights like these. We are here to inform inquiring minds for one but mostly to heal and de-program ourselves form our experiences in the B'org. As well as to help each other with a new community of friends and cyber family for those of us who were stripped of our families due to shunning.

I just don't see the appeal. Of course, I also don't think the Bible is infallible and perfect.

Keep reading my friend, don't stop until you find the answers you are seeking! The WTS isn't infallible and after my 50 years of being a JW I question even the Bible and God's existence or at least the JW's interpetation of it.

I hope you hang around and please don't hesitate to ask questions, some of the nicest, well informed people are here to help you understand.

Take care!

Katie

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    "Jesus is the Son of God" and the question at the bottom is "Who is the Son of God?".

LOL - you've hit upon something that was a factor in my leaving the JW's - the Brooklyn Watchtower organization treats the rank and file JW's like children and association with this organization over a period of time seems to reduce the average JW to a childish state of dependence on "mother" (as the Brooklyn org is sometimes referred to) to give them direction in every aspect of their life no matter how minute. Ask any JW that you are currently involved with if they ever do anything that goes against the direction given by "the faithful slave".

When I first became involved with JW's, I wondered about "apostates" and what the big deal was. I found out the hard way. Stick around!

• Robdar
    Robdar

Welcome to the board, Algun.

Assemblies are only 3 days now? *Shakes head* What a bunch of wussies these witnesses are nowadays.

Robyn

• Hamas
    Hamas

Welcome to the board, my friend

www.escapethewatchtower.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit