Noah + new understanding

by dothemath 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dothemath
    dothemath

So they mentioned Noah couldn’t have preached to all the population back before the flood.

Do you think they might start using common sense regarding not being able to get every animal type on the ark from the whole world?

Maybe the poor sloth from South America didn’t have to crawl all the way? Of the kangaroos some how make it to Australia?

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

the way I see it, If one accepts the creator, there wouldn't be any issue with the creator seeing to it that all the animals got on board, because if he can make them, he can put them on a boat!

• dothemath
    dothemath

I guess that would include the flightless Dodo bird found only on the island of Mauritius.

It’s surprising how many examples of flightless birds there are (were, most now extinct) that are found around the world.

• Journeyman
    Journeyman
    the way I see it, If one accepts the creator, there wouldn't be any issue with the creator seeing to it that all the animals got on board, because if he can make them, he can put them on a boat!

Agreed.

Also, don't forget that although they reject macroevolution, they don't reject adaptation and speciation.

Therefore, they do not teach that "every animal type" from "the whole world" was necessarily on the ark.

Noah wouldn't have had to have every single different type of bird, mammal, reptile, etc, on board, just ones which are key parental genotypes, which could spread out and adapt to their new environments over successive generations. Hence, variation within species would still develop over time and in localised regions. (Noah wouldn't know this, or which ones who be genetically suitable, but God would.)

• cofty
    cofty
    Hence, variation within species would still develop over time and in localised regions

So how do you explain marsupials

Australia is home to 223 species of marsupial. Lacking a womb our mammalian cousins give birth to their young at a very early stage of development and then nurse them to maturity. Female marsupials also have 3 vaginas but that is another topic. The earliest fossils of marsupials are not to be found in Australia however but in North America 80 million years ago. Their journey can be followed south all the way to the tip of South America 40 million years ago and then they suddenly turn up in Australia 30 million years ago.

So where were Joey's ancestors during the missing 10 million years and how did they manage to get to Australia?In a word the answer is Gondwana.

Throughout the earth's history the continents have been constantly in motion, crashing together to form supercontinents and ripping apart again in various formations. The world we see today is a snapshot in geological time. During the Late Cretaceous Period South America and Australia were joined to either end of Antarctica to form what was left of Gondwana which began to unzip in the Triassic. This leads to a testable prediction. If evolution is true then it ought to be possible to find fossils of marsupials with the correct antiquity in Antarctica.

In his book ''Cold,'' published in 1931 Dr. Lawrence M.Gould wrote ''I had rather go back to the Antarctic and find a fossil marsupial than three gold mines.'' Guess what? In 1982 an expedition funded by the National Science Foundation found fossils of more than a dozen species of marsupial on Seymour Island right on the ice-free corridor between South America and Antarctica. The fossils were dated to between 35 and 40 million years ago and were similar to those found in South America at the same time.

The marsupial story is an example of how the fact of evolution can be tested in the real world and shown to be accurate.

In an alternative hypothesis all 223 species of marsupial walked and swam in pairs from Mount Ararat to Australia via Antarctica.

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

Ah, I guessed it wouldn't be long before cofty would see this thread and be along, proselytising for evolution! 🤣

(Edited to add: I was not the one who Disliked cofty's comment, in case anyone's wondering. I am not intending to be rude, just making a cheeky observation! I rarely use the Dislike, only if I find a comment really inappropriate or unnecessary.)

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Knock, knock…

“Good morning!

We’re here talking to you and your neighbours, sharing the Good News according to Darwin.

Are you at all familiar with evolutionary theory?”

(sorry, Cof, couldn’t resist 😜)

• cofty
    cofty

Facts versus mythology.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

And you cannot reason with any person who views it that way as the answer to anything out with science or facts is "God of the gaps" where God can do anything to explain something

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Oh the poor fundamentalists, even most of the mainstream churches view the first eleven chapters of Genesis as creation for dummies rather than historical narrative.

As I mentioned in another thread the flood account was one of the first issues I had with the theology I was being indoctrinated with as a child. Too many things about that story made no sense even to a middle school aged mind.

If you are going to argue for the existence of God, the flood account is not the hill to plant your flag on, or young earth, or any of the other stories in Genesis.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit