New World Translation Errors

by ClassAvenger 75 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

Either God has been faithful to preserve His pure words with nothing added or He has failed and the scholars of today who do not believe any Bible on this earth is the perfect word of God are right.

This is a false dichotomy. Consider those Biblical scholars who are theologically conservative and who accept the inerrancy of the autographs. The vast majority of these do not accept the Joannine comma.

Earlier I gave the example of Zane Hodges and Arthur Farstad who edited The Greek New Testament According to the Majority Text. Now these are scholars who reject the idea that the oldest extant manuscripts are necessarily the best. They argue that the oldest mss (Sinaiticus, Alexandrinus, etc.) are Coptic and have survived because of the dry, hot climate and that they need to be considered carefully in light of the Textus Receptus/Majority Text. They ask if it is proper to ignore 85% of the textual evidence in favor of a very few older manuscripts which may not reflect the mainstream text at all. IOW, these are textual scholars who are saying things that are music to the KJV-only adherents' ears --- and yet, even they do not include the Johannine comma in their Majority text.

I think Hodges and Farstad make some good points, and I enjoy reading their edition of the Greek text. They recognize the importance of the Majority Text, but as textual scholars, they know there have been scribal errors in the transmission of the text. Even the TR disagrees with the Majority text at times. This does not mean they do not believe God has failed. 99% of the variants are simple scribal errors of orthography, word order, etc.

Textual scholars classify unintentional scribal errors as:

1) errors of the hand

2) errors of the eye

3) errors of the ear

4) errors of the mind

and there are names for the various types of scribal slips in each category.

This is not only a NT problem. The Talmud (b. Shabbath 103b) warns about the need for care in distinguishing between pairs of letters which are graphically similar:

"... one must not write the alef as an 'ayyin, the 'ayyin as an alef, the beth as a kaf, or the kaf as a beth, the gimmel as a zadde, or the zadde as a gimmel, the daleth as a resh, or the resh as a daleth, the heh as a heth or the heth as a heh, the waw as a yod or the yod as a waw, the zayyin as a nun or the nun as a zayyin, the teth as a pe, or the pe as a teth, bent letters straight or straight letters bent, the mem as a samek or the samek as a mem, closed letters open or open letters closed."

Even conservative scholars who believe in the inerrancy of the autographs accept the fact that the extant mss are not in complete agreement. Scribes were human and they made various copying errors. But if you read the Greek text and look at the critical apparatus listing the variants, you will see that almost all of the variations are minor things which do not significantly affect the meaning.

It is true that there are a few disputed passages which have theological significance. BUT not one Christian doctrine rests solely on any of these few passages. For instance, the inclusion or omission of the Johannine comma does not affect the doctrine of the Trinity.

Since the Johannine comma is a disputed passage, I think it is better not to use it as a "proof-text" in discussions. Just my $.02.

Regards,

Marjorie

• Tyler
    Tyler

Classavenger

The only sure way of having a correct translation of the bible is learning aincient Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic, then getting a bible printed in the original languages and reading that!

If not the KJ version, or the NW translation, then what? Every translation of bible has been translated with a prejudicial slant. Unless you can read the original languages you'll never know anyway.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Maybe you should ask your friend why, if the NWT is such a top notch translation, it is not viewed as such by any experts outside of the WTS?

(If it *is* viewed as excellent by some experts, please let me know, but as far as I know there aren't any.)

• metatron
    metatron

The New World Translation keeps inserting 'in union with' instead of 'one with'

Thus, you are 'in union with' God or Jesus

not 'one' with them - in many verses. They dislike the idea of 'oneness' or real intimacy with God or Jesus

because such a mystical notion conflicts with their organizational biases.

metatron

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Alleymom,

I do agree with you that it would definitely be a smart idea to use other Scriptures besides 1 John 5:7 to show the proof of the Trinity.

In his De catholicae ecclesiae unitate 6, he says, "The Lord says, ‘I and the Father are one’; and again it is written of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, ‘And these three are one.’"

Notice, though, the part of 1 John 5:7 that Cyprian quoted: "And these three are one".

But, take a look at the King James Version of 1 John 5:7-8:

1 John 5:7: For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
    1 John 5:8: And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

The part of the Verse talking about the spirit, the water, and the blood says "and these three AGREE IN one", it does not say "and these three ARE one".

Also, if I'm not mistaken, I think I have read that the actual Greek in 1 John 5:8 says "and these three AGREE IN THAT ONE".

Wouldn't the words "that one" be referring back to 1 John 5:7, where it says "and these three are one"?

I'm going to do more research into this subject.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Here are a couple of very interesting Watchtower quotes to show Jehovah's WItnesses who are trying to get you to use the New World Translation instead of your own Bible:

Reasoning Book (1989), Page 279:

‘There are many translations of the Bible. Our Society encourages the use of a variety of them in order to make comparisons and to help students to grasp the real sense of the Scriptures. As you may know, the Bible was originally written in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. So we appreciate what translators have done to put it into our language. Which Bible translation do you use?’

All Scripture Inspired Book (1990), Page 321:

From the time that the magazine The Watchtower began to be published in 1879, the publications of the Watch Tower Society have quoted, cited, and referred to scores of different Bible translations. Thus, the Society has recognized the value of all of them and has made use of the good in all of them as being of value in clearing away religious confusion and setting forth the message of God.

I think those two quotes can be very useful.

• DJ
    DJ

Genesis 1:2.....Out of all of the translations I have ever seen only the NWT puts "active force"....where Holy Spirit belongs.

• onacruse
    onacruse

DJ, that's a good one! Even the NWT never again uses that phrase in the text body (though referenced in footnotes to several other passages as an "alternate reading"). I just did a search of several dozen other translations, and "active force" is never used in any of them, any where.

Craig

• DJ
    DJ

Craig,

The first time that I saw that one in the NWT, I couldn't believe my eyes. Talk about translating to your own advantage........

• aunthill
    aunthill

All you scholars just blow me away! I am glad you do the research because I don't know if I have the inclination to do it.

I do remember in the 1980's sometime, early '80's I think, Schroeder was quoted in one of the magazines (I think the Watchtower) as saying that if there was more than one meaning to a Hebrew/Greek word, their translator would select the word that supported WT theology (rather than looking to the text for the most accurate translation.) My friend nearly had a heart attack, having been raised in the bOrg and taught how "honest" and "truthful" they were (HA!). I got rid of my dub literature years ago, but maybe somebody that still has it can look up the quote, if time permits.

Aunthill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit