JW earworms

by neat blue dog 10 Replies latest jw friends

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Do you ever find yourself starting to hum a JW tune subconsciously? Several times while driving alone I started singing one of them, and then I get to an offensive lyric which jolts me 'awake', and I say something to myself like 'no!' or 'shutup!'. If anybody heard they'd think I was a few bricks shy of a load šŸ˜†

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yes I do and I left thirty years ago! That's the power of high control cults. Songs are a very easy way to get ideas straight into the subconscious mind.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I left 5 years ago and still have those moments where I hum some of their songs. Some of these songs will send me straight into feelings of anger and rage as they are strongly linked to particular moments of my life where the JWs destroyed my family.

On the other hand, there are some other melodies that I still appreciate for its artistic value in the same way I appreciate Catholic Churches while disagreeing with the teachings. Or an appreciation similar to my love for the movie ā€œThe 10 Commandmentsā€ while I certainly donā€™t believe any of it.

Of course, I guess this is also due to the fact that I already forgot the lyrics! I donā€™t believe that any of the lyrics produced by the JWs are strong enough to appeal to me even on a purely artistic level.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Dark Days are here, men live in fear! (In my deepest voice) Whenever we need a quick laugh lol.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    Songs are a very easy way to get ideas straight into the subconscious mind.

Russell agreed:

ā€œThe singing of the truth is a good way to get it into the heads and hearts of Godā€™s people.ā€ - Zion's Watch Tower

there are some other melodies that I still appreciate for its artistic value

Likewise. I'm already a fan of orchestral and folk music, and I think that the Kingdom Melodies series (which was virtually all instrumental only) was filled with brilliant compositions that strayed from the straightforward notes in the songbooks.

I donā€™t believe that any of the lyrics produced by the JWs are strong enough to appeal to me even on a purely artistic level.

Again, agreed. Most lyrics are horrible, just blunt force teaching.

• hoser
    hoser

Letā€™s watch how we walk and watch how we talk and stumble none in our ministry

• blondie
    blondie

I can remember some ex-jws writing new lyrics appropriate to their own changed thinking. I rather fill my mind with other music, better written music/lyrics, figuratively needing more room for the new, so I toss the old from my memory or put them in a rented storage area, far away in another galaxy.

• Simon
    Simon

Thanks to Mercedes, we get to har that German anthem / Kingdom melody after every Grand Prix. Can't help but sing it ...

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Not familiar with that one, have a link?

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

I am surprised to learn that so many of you do ! For me nope,nada,niet ! I dont know why that is .Perhaps my brains just cleared out all of that clutter, switched off all of that BS.

Now if I ever have to amidst jdumbs and singing, I will be definitely lost...without words !Thouhg I am happy about this!

When I read some of the lines here they seem just like mere sentences to me , not song. Am I weird ?

Zing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit