Ever Wondered What People Think of Not-at-home Letters and Obit Letters?

by blondie 13 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/thefreethinker/2019/10/op-ed-intruders/

Here are some excerpts of a man who was called on by 2 young female jws, received a not-at-home letter as well, and what he thought about them. I encourage you to read the whole thing, it is worth the laugh.

"It wasn’t Pompeo knocking but he would have beamed approval on the two young women on the doorstep. “We just want to share with you some thoughts from the Bible,” one of them said.

“No.”

They left.

This is one good reason to hate God, it seems to me. What else gives people the gall to think they have such superior wisdom and knowledge that they need to go banging on people’s doors to tell them about it? Who else does that?...The memory and the irritation were fading, but then the other day I found in a heap of disorganized papers a single sheet I had found in the mailbox back in August. I would call it a letter as opposed to a sheet except that it’s not like a normal letter. It pretends to be but it’s not.

Behold:

Olivia

3626 34th Ave. W.

Seattle, WA 98199

No, I’m not betraying her personal information, because that turns out to be an institutional address, but you wouldn’t know that at the outset, would you. And … who the hell is Olivia? She doesn’t share her last name; that’s an exact copy of what I found..."

• stillin
    stillin

I always figured that people thought the Witnesses were pathetic. I dreaded to think about the thoughts conveyed in those letters or the grammar, or the spelling. It was torture to stand on a doorstep with a poorly-educated, poorly-spoken representative of the Most High God who couldn't gather his thoughts into anything at all coherent, while he drove people mad with impatience.

I couldn't blame a lot of them for cutting us off and saying that they weren't interested.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Shortly after a friend's husband had died she got a letter and a brochure from a local witness. She called us immediately and asked us how did they know her husband had died and was wondering if she was in danger. We claimed her down and let her know their are ones who are encouraged to read the obituaries in the newspaper and send a letter with wt.literature in it. Hoping to start a bible study with ones who are at their weakest due to lost of a love one. She thought that was horrible for what they were doing.

She was also scared they would be knocking on her door stalking her. We told her not to worry this person consider this as part of her ministry and it was easy time for this person and we felt you will never hear from her again. Just throw this letter away and forget about it. She really felt this act was really sick. This is what my wife and I saw first hand. Great topic blondie. Still Totally ADD

• Ding
    Ding

I don't think most people are offended by JWs except when they encounter JWs who won't take no for an answer.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Am i reading this right ? she gave her name and address to strangers whom she had never met before ? Or even if she had one meeting before , it`s still a bit irresponsible isn`t it.?

They could stalk her and who knows what else could befall her .?

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

I did a LOT of letter writing when I pioneered.

It helped for getting time.

But I dont know if I actually mailed more than a few.

I know I was not alone. :)

• tiki
    tiki

Good manners and respect for others is not part of the package. Its all about force feeding their own religious fallacies to anyone and everyone. Even when hostage in the cult I always abhorred that part of it....

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, iwantoutnow, why pay the postage. Just say you mailed them.

I used to check out a phone territory, call the first #, if no one answered I would jot it down. Then if no one answered after the 2nd time, I would always call that number and start checking how much time had gone by and then call it again. I did other things between the first call and the last call.

I know jws that did that with calling back on people. Called at a time they knew they would not be home, to start counting time. Did other things then, shopping, errands, cook at home, etc. Then on the way home stopped at that same place (near their home).

I knew older jws that called on people we called 3 hour cookie and tea stops. These jws had been stopping by to see these people every week for years. Never dropped them despite WTS "suggestions" that they do so.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I frankly never really cared about the content of the letters I was sending, all that mattered was the time I was reporting for it and I felt it was much better then door to door ministry. Nothing was easier to "start your time" then writting up a small letter.

Then came the computers. Dispite my best effort, my conscience didn't justify spending soo much time on letters. Some would write custom messages and others would write them by hand saying it felt more personal, but I never bought into this. So, I stopped sending letters then.

• Searril
    Searril

I have no love for the dubs out spewing mindless propaganda, but this blog reads like someone just looking for something to bitch about. Not sure whether the author's whining or the dub's letter is more idiotic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit