If God doesn't exist, what's your future?

by JH 32 Replies latest jw friends

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I guess it would be the same for a non believer...who doesn't want to miss one little pleasure of life, because once he's dead it's over.

The believer will be more balanced I think keeping in mind that after this life there is an eternal one.

I see the same thing from a different perspective. The non-believer will try to get as much as he can out of this life, and leave a real legacy because he knows it's all we've got.

The believer will fritter away the precious few years he has knocking on doors, going to church or whatever he believes will get him into the afterlife he desires.

In the end, the result for both is the same, but one has wasted his life.

• maxwell
    maxwell

I want to weigh in on this one. I don't know that God exists.

I somewhat agree with logansrun. It doesn't matter much whether you believe in an afterlife or not. We would all like to enjoy this life and get the most out of it possible. You may describe JW as a cult but even they aren't running to jump off a cliff to speed the way to the afterlife. Only in certain circumstances do they irrationally end their lives such as perhaps in the case of a blood transfusion. I'm sure we've all heard of cults that actually did have all of their members commit suicide at some point.

But in general we would all like to live as long as possible. There's certain things most reasonable people agree on for creating the best chance of living as long as possible. Safe, healthy and active living habits. As for getting the most out of life, opinions on that probably vary a bit more. After I left the JW, I still wanted to live as long and as heathful as possible. Of course, now I have more time to spend exercising. And while I admit to being more interested in fulfilling pleasures that I desire, those desires are still tempered by reason and the desire to live as long and as healthful as possible. For example, it might be fun to have a drink every now and then and party, but I still haven't been drunk and I never plan to be drunk. The consequences of getting drunk and/or becoming an alcoholic decrease my chances of living a long and healthful life.

• freedom96
    freedom96

God does indeed exist, and I am not worried about my future. I will be ok.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit