"Is There a Creator Who Cares About You?" -- New Light Edition

by cognisonance 9 Replies latest social humour

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

After studying Hubble Space Telescope images of the night's sky and attending classes under disguise at Wor-Wic community college (air travel and tuition funded by your donations no less), Gerrit Losch managed to secure a two-thirds majority vote among the Governing Body to release a second updated edition of the Creator book. This new edition replaces the "Pillars of Creation" (Eagle Nebula) cover photo with "God's Birdie" (Carina Nebula):

They've also had a change of heart with regards the concept of intellectual honesty and have updated the quote on page 9 that said:

The book Belief in God and Intellectual Honesty notes that one who possesses “intellectual honesty” is characterized by a “readiness to scrutinize what one believes to be true” and “to pay sufficient attention to other evidence available."

In the subject at hand, such “evidence available” can help us to see whether there is a Creator behind life and the universe.

To now honestly quote the full source:

The book Belief in God and Intellectual Honesty notes that “intellectual honesty” is characterized by "the following requirements [which] should be fulfilled for the proper ascription of intellectual honesty to a person S. First, a willingness of S to take into consideration all the evidence available to S for a belief, and a readiness to pay sufficient attention to other evidence available to S which might weaken or undermine the plausibility or acceptability of that belief. Second, a willingness to reveal all the relevant evidence when requested by other persons. Third, S could hardly be said to possess the virtue of intellectual honesty if his beliefs are hopelessly incoherent or even inconsistent, and if S is aware of this but for some reason does not want to admit it. Fourth, we would expect an intellectually honest person S to be willing and able to amend or correct his belief system if he is confronted with new and conclusive contradictory evidence. However, S's willingness, at least in principle, to correct his belief system, does not exclude a kind of tenacity with which S may remain committed to his belief system. In other words, a person who would constantly change his mind and have himself stand corrected all the time, is lacking a wholesome and innocuous dogmatism. He would deprive himself of the opportunity to find out what is true (and false) in he world. Finally, a fifth characteristic should be mentioned. We suggest that, typically, an intellectually honest person is someone who is interested in, and therefore also a searcher for, truth."

In the subject at hand, we will use "all the evidence available" to support the belief that there is a Creator behind life and the universe. We will also look at the "other evidence available" that "weaken or undermine the plausibility or acceptability" of this "hopelessly incoherent or even inconsistent" belief.

The forward mentions that this new edition is an expansion from the 192-page original. The expanded portion now includes the "other evidence available" -- an additional 1,920 pages of the evidence to suggest that there is likely no Creator, or at least he does not give a fuck about you.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I like the alternate title, "Is There a God? Who Cares?"

Not me.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Is There a Creator Who Cares About You?

Don't know, but I am a created who doesn't give a $%&*

• smiddy
    smiddy

Is that the middle finger Gods giving us ?

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@smiddy Lol, I was going to say... that nebula is flipping us off!

• Chook
    Chook

How can GB say there is a creator who cares , when they say they are an example of caring. They care closing congs, kicking out bethelites and shunning young ones.

• jaydee
    jaydee

@smiddy...

I think you will find that was the point (no pun intended) of the OP's alternative cover.

Or did I miss read it....

P.S.

this is 'Ms. Read' by the way, my 10th grade science teacher

.Oh, how I did love astronomy..

Image result for helen flanagan teacher

• cognisonance
    cognisonance
    @smiddy...
    I think you will find that was the point (no pun intended) of the OP's alternative cover.
    Or did I miss read it....

You read it right. The dust pillar is known as "God's Birdie" or "God's [middle] finger." This is a fun example of pareidolia.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Jaydee - did Ms. Read show you her black hole?

• waton
    waton

That is not a finger, that is a replica of the real thing, balls and all, punishing saluting humankind for inventions like the telescopes to see it, message: stay ignorant, no higher education, the wt mantra tantra too. keep at it! reproducing and progressing.

Anybody remember the CO's video on phallic religious symbols in BTG? all fingers pointing at "god" church steeples, minarets, domes (breasts)? ha ha

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit