How did you stuck in the JW borg ???????

by run dont walk 14 Replies latest jw friends

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

I was born into it, and had a rough ride getting out, not much fun growing up having little respect (didn't want to use the hate word) for your parents/family.

I can honestly say my parents had no idea how life works, as is the case for most JW's.

How did you get stuck in it, and how long did it take you to finally walk away (or still trying to) ??? (took me years)

• shamus
    shamus

I needed a crutch at the time, and they provided it. When my crutch was no longer required, I left. That was after all the emotional abuse, and horrible stories....

• mann377
    mann377

I became a good actor. I also developed a good radar.

• MrsQ
    MrsQ

I was born into it. It took me 6 years to really get out when I finally chose to. Then I went on the most self-destructive downward spiral you can imagine. Then I realized I didn't have to destroy myself. I could still be a good person and believe in God without selling my soul to a man-made organization. Since then, I've become progressively more and more happy with my life.

• maxwell
    maxwell

I was born into JW. But I still feel my childhood was happy for the most part.

While I will admit to the possibility of being somewhat naive, I'd say that for the most part even my experience as one a JW was mostly okay. But I was not totally blind; I was well aware of some of the cliques, and human relations problems, but I bought the JW line for the most part about that; i.e. "JW are imperfect but not as bad as the 'world'"

I did tire of the restrictions and that coupled with other things in my life triggered my brain to start thinking outside of the box.

My parents are great people. They are simply like many others in the world. They need an answer. I have become comfortable with the fact that I don't need an answer for everything.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Self-delusion, wishful thinking, day dreaming, lying to myself, denial, being a butthead, dumbshit! Is that enough? Maverick

• freedom96
    freedom96

Born into it, never would have chosen it, though I don't judge those who did choose it as a way of life. For some it works, some they need it, others see the light, and still others see the light, the real truth, and have the guts to leave.

I left after meeting people that were much more Godly in their attitudes and actions than many witnesses. I could not believe for a moment that God was going to destroy them.

Got divorced, and it became very easy to fade away. There was no real love in that congregation anyways. They have never checked on me since.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

When I was 22 I was a dumbass and I found a religious organization that was tailor-made for dumbasses like me.

I'm still a dumbass, but getting smarter.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I was practically born in it and stuck in it for over 30 + years. It took 10 years for me to fully realize what this organization is all about.

• meomy
    meomy

I was in for 15 years. Took me six months to leave and lots and lots of reading. I have been out for about 1 year and i finally am getting over the fear of making a mistake. I am much happier now and so are my children. We are enjoying life togeather more as a family and exploring new activities to keep us occupied. ....Still am afraid to get involved in another religion.. I quess some day that will probably come. bye now..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit