Congregation picnic time

by Jayk 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jayk
    Jayk
    I've never been completely shunned because I've never been baptized. My father side has always talked to me and included me in family events. But my mom's side is in denial of shunning me. I text my mom to see what she is doing tonight (after her meeting) and her congregation is having a picnic. I said "am I allowed to go" I'm still waiting on a response...I haven't been to a meeting or memorial in over 10 years. But like I said I still get invited to some family functions. Not sure if this is a good idea or not. I don't plan on going back which I feel ultimately is the question she is gonna ask. But it's a good neutral zone and it's a public place.
  • jp1692
    jp1692

Jayk, unfortunately when our family members are in a cult they often treat those of us that aren’t in their cult like shit.

Sorry you’re having to deal with this. Pretty much everyone else on this forum has experienced similar treatment by our families.

I’m glad your dad’s side makes you feel included.

Honestly, and I’m not trying to be a jerk here, but why would you want to hang out with people that don’t treat you well?

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012
    Jayk, I'm glad your mother still communicates with you. (mine doesn't) I wouldn't give the authority to anyone to say if you can or can't come. If you would like to go, go.
  • Jayk
    Jayk
    I'm trying to figure out why I would want to go around them also. For a long time I hated my mom which is why I stayed away.. I know alot of people in the group had simular experiences but mine is unique in its own way... my mom physically beat me pretty bad growing up to the point the state stepped because she put me in the hospital when I was 16..I've lived with anger and hate for a long time..My oldest brother who is still a witness gets it because he has recently admitted our childhood wasn't normal.. she told me "let's make plans next weekend"
  • Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Did you really want to go or did you really just want to know if you would be allowed to go?

At one time, I would sometimes test the waters too, just to see if they were still holding on to their isolationist/"if you aren't with us, you're against us" mentality. It was the same every time.

• Jayk
    Jayk

I did want to go but I wasnt expecting to be able to.

• steve2
    steve2

Man, going to a congregation picnic sounds fun. Not.

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

I can't think of any good reason to go to a congregation get together where everyone is being fake and judgemental.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    my mom physically beat me pretty bad growing up to the point the state stepped because she put me in the hospital when I was 16..

Mandated by the cult, if it helps the anger at all toward her. I'm not excusing it, it hateful. I made a fuss even as a believer that it was disgusting. But for your sake I want your anger to subside so if it helps to know the cult encouraged beating kids, especially in the 80s, 90s. They told parents it was showing love to do so " he who spares the rod is hating his child", that's the Bible for you, 3,000 year old peasant principals.

• Jayk
    Jayk
    I was put into the Intensive Burn Unit..it went a bit further than corporal punishment.. Thanks Dio I understand my mom was under alot of stress. It doesn't excuse what she, but I've learned to forgive..But it took a long time to learn that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit