Orthodox Jews and homosexuality

by scotsman 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leddfootdja
    leddfootdja

Also. Homophobic means having an overpowering or irrational fear of man. Wild animals are homophobic. A bashful gay man is a homophobe, not an outspoken straight one.

Oh really? And what would you call an outspoken gay man vs a bashful straight one?

WTF?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=homophobe

FACT

1 entry found for homophobe.

ho·mo·pho·bi·a ( P ) Pronunciation Key (h
    n.
    1. Fear of or contempt for lesbians and gay men.
    2. Behavior based on such a feeling.

People who FEAR and HATE things they do not understand are the cause of much of the world's problems throughout history. 9/11 is perfect example of this type of intolerance for each others differences. Education, understanding, and at a minimum, tolerance are the keys to the society we ought to have as supposedly the most intelligent form of live on earth.

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

StarScream : The word "fact" means that it is proven, knowlege that is aquired from an accurate source. The fact is that most of your information that you have posted as factual is completely incorrect. Im sorry if you think this is a personal attack on you but it is just simply showing you that you need to do ALOT more unbiased research on the topic of being "gay" / "bi" before you come to a properly informed stand on what is actual fact and what is unbrideled speculation.

scotsman : Religion + Gay = Unsually doesnt grab my interest but I read your post anyway and it got me to thinking about religion in general.

I was at a recent screening of Trembling Before G-d, a documentary on homosexuals in the Orthodox community who want to be practising homosexuals and still be accepted as part of the Orthodox faith. (My opinion is that they're wanting to have their cake and eat it but I was interested in the reasoning).

I think the princable of having cake and wanting to eat it to is human nature. I thought back to what religion used to be about and what it is today and one could be fooled into beleiving that religion in general has become all to easy. I don't actually think religion is as static as most people perceive it, changes are made, beliefs are remolded .. time changes things, sometimes for the better and other times for the worse. When it all comes down to basics though I think that one day "homosexuality" will become quite widely accepted within most religions. Understanding of the different religions bibles and books of prophecy will change and no doubt they will stretch futher and futher away from most of the bibles teachings.

In my opinion the bible is just a book, there is alot of good intention in there, there is also alot of good advice but on the other hand the is alot of dictation in there, alot of power hungry forceful oppinionated people had influence on bibble writting.

I personally beleive in the Religion of the Heart. I think we are all born with the knowledge that we need, we all know that killing and such is wrong, we all know that cheating on our partner is wrong and that stealing is wrong etc. I don't think we need organised religion to lead us by the hand and tell us what to do. But of course there are quite alot of people out there that need exactly that.

Organised religion only has it's power over you when and if you give in to it, by surrendering your will and freedom of opinion and need for full self expression you have nothing else left but faith that you are being led in the right direction.

monk3y

• rocketman
    rocketman

Ah yes, still another thread on homosexuality.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Starscream - your facts are rubbish, completely unscientifically based and totally moronic. If anyone here were to actually believe your arguments, well they must be reading from the same 1950's propoganda horse manure that you've obviously got your nose stuck in. Actually, nature is a wonderful indicator - it shows that homosexuality is actually a very natural thing for many species. Humans are no different.

To me, the only "freaks" of nature are the ones that have something jammed so far up their own arseholes (so perhaps all your threads are just wishful thinking?) that they can't see what the earth itself, and all the things on it, tell us. I find it strange that you've spent so much valuable time & energy posting so much information on why this natural occurance is wrong - perhaps someone with more than "psych-101" could figure it out for us!

Perhaps if you have actual credible scientific basis for your "facts" - you could be taken seriously - but to me and probably most people here - you are nothing but a bigot - plain & simple.

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

Yes and you really should be used to it by now rocketman, even if your not you will be by the time I'm finished

Without looking like I'm stealing the subject of this thread I have noticed you comment simalar on most of the "homosexual" threads, if they don't interest you surely your simple wasting you time posting.

monk3y

• leddfootdja
    leddfootdja

Indeed. If you don't want to read the threads about homosexuality Rocketman, then don't click on them!!!

• rocketman
    rocketman

I'm being sarcastic. My sense of humor sometimes leans in that direction. Certainly, I mean no offense.

This topic in fact does interest me, but it seems such a divisive topic that, quite honestly, I avoid comment.

Now, let's get the thread back on topic......

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

I spent a couple of years as the goyisha secretary of an ultra-Orthodox (Chassid) synagogue. It is my understanding that, your "sexual orientation" wouldn't enter into how you lived your life (I'm pretty sure the idea would have been totally foreign to them). A good Jewish boy or girl is supposed to get married and have as many children as physically possible (at last count, the rabbi and his wife had 11, and she's younger than me so they're not finished). Your personal feelings and inclinations don't really enter into it...it is your duty as a Jew to fulfill all 613 mitzvahs (commandments).

It was an incredibly interesting experience, and everyone I met were very dear people, but I'm telling you, I grew up among some judgemental xenophobic people, and the JWs are judgemental and xenophobic...but they don't hold a candle to the reactions of the Chassidim towards those who thought or acted differently than they had been raised to think and act (the rabbi's kids thought I was pretty much a zoo exhibit).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit