Is it true the society were considering disfellowshipping overweight people in the 1980s?

by UnshackleTheChains 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

I just saw the video below and thought 'no way' !!!

But then given the obsessive amount of rules they have, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that this was at least considered.

If there is some credibility to this, then they most certainly have gone beyond the pale!

https://youtu.be/XSFYWO-dBJI

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

I don't have a clue but I do remember that they had articles on Gluttony.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Absolutely No Way !

I was an elder by the 80's and this never was suggested...

The very idea of asking the opinion of a Ministerial Servant on such a matter is laughable. Gluttony is evidenced

by behaviour and actions , not obesety .

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Actually it is CURRENTLY a df’ing offense. Dont believe me...? Please observe the following quote from their secret elder manual:

Now have i ever actually seen or even heard of someone being df for gluttony..? No. Never ever a word about it in any way. But it is, technically, possible even today.

• waton
    waton

sorry misread without clean glasses overweight for overnight, like motel. took it down, although funny.

• Alfred
    Alfred

This would be disfellowshipping offense...

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

_Morpheus: Actually it is CURRENTLY a df’ing offense.

It's not a DF'ing offense, per se...

The df'ing offense is actually gluttony...

which, of course, is one of the seven deadly sins...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Im always good with splitting hairs, dark :) thats why i posted the actually page with relevant information to speak for itself.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Yes, it was an issue in our congregation also.

In our case, we had replaced the movable chairs with theatre-style seats. Much more comfortable.

However, we had an overweight sister (only attended occasionally) who sat in one of the seats and it broke.

After a local needs talk a few weeks later about gluttony, they put an exercise bike in the basement for those who are overweight to use.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit