My Becoming a JW

by Juliana 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Juliana
    Juliana

I was raised non-religious. I don't call myself an atheist as such because I don't like to label anyone, but I don't actually believe in God (though I am Christian in background, and several branches of family family are Roman Catholic). My fiancé knows this. He is a Jehovah's Witness and would like me to "convert", so to speak, before we marry. It's easier to discuss this with strangers than with my fiancé (which is very awkward, as his beliefs are strong and mine are non-existent at the moment). Please could you explain a little about the fundamental beliefs, what becoming a Jehovah's Witness would involve ... There is one issue though. Due to personal beliefs that I hold to, I could not take part in any religion which involves "hell". I will sum up my basic beliefs and you may be able to advise as to how this fits into JW:

* I do not understand why a book translated many times, mixed up with storytelling, and written thousands of years ago is in any way accurate, particularly as some of its tales (Adam and Eve, for example) are scientically wrong. If that is not fact, why should any of it be? It's a bit of a case of the boy who cried wolf ...

* Why would God give us the power of rational thought, and then throw us into hell if we come to the rational conclusion that there is no God? It seems unfair, to put it childishly. And why not let us know for sure that he exists? Why leave it down to faith? It seems that he is trying to trick.

* Why would a good god let children starve, cause suffering across the world? If it's God's doing, he is not good and should not be worshipped. If it is the doing of some evil force, God is not powerful enough to overcome bad and should therefore not be worshipped.

* But really I don't believe in God anyway, so ...

Anyway, as you can see, I would have to change a lot before becoming a JW! What can you say? I'm confused really, and in truth don't wish to convert ... My fiancé feels strongly though.

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl

Juliana, I have never been a JW either, but I am married to one. Send me a private message so we can talk. There are many, many things you need to know.

Worldlygirl

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

Oh, sweetheart. What you need is a new fiance. No kidding. Don't do this--either convert or marry.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

First of all, welcome to the forum! Now, here's the good news: Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe the Bible teaches about a fiery hell.

Here's the bad news: Jehovah's Witnesses are a very closed and close-minded group of people who demand enormous amounts of your time and energy, demand that you associate with them and no one else, and feel like it's them against everybody else and they're right. If you disagree you are shunned by all JW's INCLUDING YOUR OWN FAMILY MEMBERS, I.E., YOUR HUSBAND.

I was raised one and left last year. If you'd like to PM me, I'd be glad to go into more detail or answer any questions you may wish to ask privately.

Happy reading!

Nina

• Jesika
    Jesika
    There are many, many things you need to know.

That's putting it lightly.

Well, let's see........I was raised a JW, so I can give you some of the details and what is required, but you won't truely "get it" untill you have lived it, believe me, and let me tell you......it isn't pretty!

JW's don't........salute the flag, celebrate ANY holidays, take blood (even in life or death situations, they choose death), give blood, believe in trinity, believe in hell fire, don't believe someone is raped unless they have 2 eye witnesses to the fact, believe a child is molested unless they have 2 eye witnesses to the fact, frown on oral sex, just to name a few.

JW's go to meetings at least 3 times a week, preach from door to door trying to convert as many as they can, listen and follow anything a group of old men in NYC as being the mouth piece of god so they never ? what they say (they are refered to as the governing body).

To sum it up, cause I know others will give you alot more info too, it is all about control!!!!

If you are the wife in a marriage, anything your husband tells you, you have to do. If you don't you are counseled about not being a submissive wife.

The list goes on!!!

If you don't believe in god at all, then DON'T convert!!!!!! Their WHOLE LIVES revolve around "Jehovah/God", and anything and everything they do is to "serve" him.

DON'T CONVERT!!!!!! If you choose to, judging from what you have posted.........you will be MISERABLE!!!!!!!

The reason your fiance' is feeling so strongly about you converting, is because JW's aren't supposed to marry outside of the JW's. So, if you convert, he won't be looked down upon by his fellow JW's.

Hope this helps a little.

OH, and WELCOME to the board!!!!!!!!

Love,

Jes

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

They won't let you be a JW unless you say you believe the things you currently don't. to be a JW you must:

1. Believe in God.

2. Believe the JW org is the only right religion.

3. Believe the Bible is the unfallable word of God.

If you pretend to believe this just to go along with your mate (as I did) it will only result in a very stressful life till you reach the breaking point. It isn't about love. I loved my ex-wife with all my heart, but once I told her what I truly believed, everything fell apart. If you do choose to stay with him, DON'T become a JW. You can't change your beliefs for someone, it just doesn't work.

Email me if you need to discuss this.

truthseeker1, of the wants-to-help-others-not-get-caught-up-in-the-org class

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

First off, nice to have you here on this forum.

Juliana, you are a shrewd and very clever woman. From what I saw written in your post, I realized you are a very observant and intelligent women.

One suggestion, and I strongly urge you to give it a go. Utilize the search feature here on this forum. Any question you may have, I can pretty much guarantee you'll find entire threads on it with references and (if necessary) scriptural backing. Just click Search, enter the word or topic, it'll show up. It's very useful.

Be forewarned, marrying a JW will require you to become one. OK, maybe not right now, or even after the wedding, but they'll be hounding you. Your fiance will be desperately trying to get you to convert and become one: once that is done. Your role as wife and partner changes forever.

You will become second class, submissive and the life of a Jehovah's Witness is not condusive to free-thinking or rational thought.

That's why we are here, and on the on-going road to recovery mentally, psychologically and in some cases physically.

The child abuse case handling should be enough to send you running fast and furious in the opposite direction.

Juliana, I certainly wish you well. It's wonderful you have this love for your fiance, but the WTBTS (Watchtower Bible & Tract Society) will be paramount in your life, thus rendering most JWs, robotic, clone-like and unquestioning in their worship and dedication.

Ask questions , and check out also, the LINKS section here. It has links to amazing sites with Watchtower references and items, most JWs don't want you to see.

Best wishes Juliana. We're here for you should you need us.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    My fiancé knows this. He is a Jehovah's Witness and would like me to "convert", so to speak, before we marry. It's easier to discuss this with strangers than with my fiancé (which is very awkward, as his beliefs are strong and mine are non-existent at the moment).

Let's get this straight,.....your fiance' knew of your non-religious upbringing and beliefs, yet still dated you, fell in love with you, wants to marry you, WHEN you convert and become a Jehovah's Witness? Rewind to before all this happened....if his belief's were as strong as you say they are, he had no business dating or falling in love with you in the first place based upon his WT God's interpretation.

In essence, he wants you to convert to save his skin and protect his image in the face of his JW cronies. Marrying an unbeliever is a potentially disfellowshipping offense for a baptised JW within the JW social circle.

His attitude toward you on this issue alone should give you a clue as to who his primary loyalty will lie should you choose to marry him. What duplicity?

I'm sure he croons on and on about how he loves you as you are, yet he's compelled to set a "condition" which you're being maneuvered to follow.

I would advise any woman in this situation to run for their life, for if at the very top end of a marriage if you'd bow to this "condition" and marry a JW clown that would even ask such a thing, then you're setting yourself up for a slew of other "conditions" you'll be required to follow.

I'm sure the sista's on this board will be more than willing to explain them to you.

• Francois
    Francois

Let's just cut to the chase. Don't marry this guy. If you do, you will have a lifetime full of prospects of happiness and satisfaction BEHIND you.

But if you want to waste years of your time and perhaps never find a way back to normality, especially after you have children, go right aheah. It's a nightmare you don't need. Why don't you just go through the post here and read them at random? There's over two years worth of posts here. And there are quite a few from people in your situation - one partner is in and the other partner was talked into being in, but now wants out with all their might. It ain't pretty, especially if they have kids.

francois

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I was raised non-religious.

consider yourself lucky!

My fiancé...is a Jehovah's Witness and would like me to "convert",

Danger! I repeat, Danger!

Please could you explain a little about the fundamental beliefs,
    Jesus Christ returned invisibly in 1914.

Jesus Christ invisibly selected the Watchtower to be his "Faithful Slave" and rejected all other Christian churches in 1919. The "Faithful Slave" doctrine is the most important doctrine of Jehovah's Witnesses, virtually everything else is subject to change.

All humans and institutions outside of the Watchtower organization are considered to be Satanic.

Very soon, Armageddon is going to break out, and only active zealous JW's will survive. All others will be "bird feed" (a term used by higher-ups in the Watchtower organization to describe persons outside the JW faith). The surviving JW's will take part in a global clean-up, resulting in the earth being transformed into a paradise where people will live forever. Also, the dead will be resurrected (but not all the dead - JW's believe that the persons slaughtered by God at Armageddon will not receive a resurrection - hence the "urgency" of their message).

Taking a blood transfusion is a violation of God's law, and any JW who takes a blood transfusion is disfellowshipped, but organ transplants are a matter of conscience. The opposite used to be true - organ transplants were a disfellowshipping offense and blood transfusions were a conscience matter. When changes in doctrine like this occur (which is quite often), JW's refer to it as receiving "new light".

The Bible is inspired and free of error. However, only the organizational leaders in Brooklyn (i.e. the "faithful slave") have the freedom to interpret it. If a rank and file JW expresses dissatisfaction or disagreement with the interpretations of the Brooklyn organization, they are subject to disfellowshipping and shunning.

what becoming a Jehovah's Witness would involve

Many hours of meetings that can become quite tedious, even boring. These meetings are not like traditional worship services that you may be familiar with from your Catholic background. All JW meetings revolve around studying the various publications produced by the "Faithful Slave". The main meeting is the Sunday Talk (in which the brother giving the talk closely follows an outline provided by the "faithful slave") and Watchtower Study (where the congregation considers, paragraph by paragraph, an article from a recent Watchtower magazine, the main publication of the "faithful slave".) Also, JW's are expected to spend as much time in preparation for these meetings as they actually spend at the meetings. All totaled, the hours spent in meetings, meeting preparation, field service, personal study of Watchtower publications, probably averages out to about 15-20 hours a week for the average JW who doesn't hold a position such as elder or pioneer. With these positions comes many many more hours of time spent in JW related activities, and r&f JW's are consistently admonished by the publications of the "faithful slave" to "reach out" for these positions of service.

JW's are expected to use as much time as they can spare "preaching the good news" i.e. going door to door offering magazines, tracts, and other publications of the "faithful slave". At the end of each month, JW's turn in a "time slip" that records how much time in the past month they spent in the "field ministry", how many publications they placed and how many bible studies they conducted or assisted with. The congregation elders keep very detailed records of the rank and file JW's, in files that the r&f are not allowed access to. Also, this information is sent to the Brooklyn organization, who also keeps what some might call fanatically detailed records of their organization's statistics. A JW who does not turn in any time or consistently has "low hours" in the field ministry is considered to be weak and will be treated as such by the elders and the rest of the congregation.

I'm only scratching at the surface of the intensity of involvement that this religion expects of its adherents.

Due to personal beliefs that I hold to, I could not take part in any religion which involves "hell".

Neither could I. JW's don't believe in hell, but what slowly dawned on me over the years was that JW's Armageddon doctrine is similar to the traditional hellfire doctrine in the effect it produces. While fear of hell keeps many in the churches "in-line" so to speak, fear of dying at Armageddon is a fear that is undoubtedly a major motivation for most JW's. Death at Armageddon is considered to be the worst and most humiliating, painful thing that could happen to a person. Sadly, many JW's who have been active in the organization for many years will express privately that they don't feel like they've done enough as JW's and therefore will die at Armageddon.

I'm confused really, and in truth don't wish to convert ...
    Proceed with caution. Don't be pressured into doing something you don't feel comfortable with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit