What you reckon? (I'm talking in my normal accent)

by punkofnice 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

There was this really lovely old geezer in a congregation I was in here in the UK.

He was an old bloke and very frit of giving talks and that.

When he was on the platform he'd be bleedin' scared...like an elephant near a bloody mouse.

So, 'ere's my question, right? Blimey.

They bunged the poor ol' bleeder onto the platform despite 'im gettin' the shits at doing it.

I mean, 'e's dead now. So I spose it's a bit bloomin' late...but....'ere's the question....

Did it help him to expand his horizons by being given bits on the platform?

Or..

Should they have bleedin' well left him alone?

I dunno.............argue amongst yourselves............

• waton
    waton

did it enrich his life? I like your accent.

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

Love it!

We had a brother in our congregation growing up who would go white as a sheet and pass out every time he had to give a bible reading. The school overseer would come prepared with smelling salts to revive him. Eventually they allowed him to sit down on the platform to do his reading.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away
    For all the years I was a witness, I experienced extreme anxiety, panic attacks and even disassociated when on stage giving a talk. When I couldn't take it anymore, I will would come off the school. Eventually, the school overseer would guilt me into going back on the school by telling me I needed to rely more on Jehovah and pray for his spirit. He should have left me the hell alone. It was pure torture.
  • humbled
    humbled

It’s hard to say for him, punky. He may Be was glad. He is the only one could say—if he would say truly.

I knew a young fellow who fainted when he gave one of his first talks. Those who saw it said his sentences begin to slide around and he lost color and went down like a cut tree. They did the Watchtower study so he could recover. Then he finished the talk.

He is still in.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I doubt it actually did the old bugger any good, but I always looked upon it as at least the big pricks who loved the sound of their own voice were not on the Platform for those few minutes.

We had a "Sister" who refused for the whole of her life to ever go on the Platform, yet she would answer in the Meetings happily, and her answers were well expressed and very insightful.

Elders should let such people be as they are, let 'em do wot they is 'appy wiv.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I witnessed some serious talk/FS induced panic attacks over the years.

Seemed cruel to put that much pressure on old people, young people and introverts.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

punk--

very frit of giving

on your other recent thread--someone said they thought you were french--punk of neece ?

heres further proof----frit--- as in poisson et frits--fish n chips.

dont worry--your secrets safe on here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit