Christian Longo testified on Court TV today

by Mulan 14 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• mommy1
    mommy1

My Jw Dad just called me and asked me if I knew about this case. I said yes. He was watching it on tv and was wondering if I was watching it. I sais I watched a little and found it too horrible. My Dad says well he was disfellowshipped see what happens when you don't put trust in Jehovah. I said Dad it has nothing to do with being a witness or not this guy was pure evil. I haven't heard from my Dad in six months and then he calls today to tell me this.

• amac
    amac

Thank you for the post mommy1...a perfect example...JW's blaming it on him being DFed and ex-JWs blaming it on him being raised a JW.

I'm sorry Mulan and Qwerty, but being a JW has fzuacpkp-all to do with him being a cold blooded murdering psycho. What connection are you trying to make between this case and JWs by sending them emails? The ONLY connection would be to say that being a JW was responsible for this in some way. There is NO other connection. He deserves no mercy! Why help him?

• onacruse
    onacruse

amac, I agree with you that "blaming the WTS" for Longo's murders is non sequitur. But imo there are underlying emotional and behavioral factors in Longo's personality that can be attributed to his JW upbringing, and which could very well have contributed to his feeling less inhibited from murder.

I live in Oregon, and trial excerpts were regularly broadcast on local TV stations and in The Oregonian newspaper. I too felt the "cold-hearted calculation" in Longo's testimony, including his comment that "I sent them [his family] to a better place." It was chilling.

But it stopped me in my tracks as I pondered how the doctrine that "death is painless non-existence, with the hope of resurrection to a new world" plays into Longo's comment. After all, his children and wife aren't suffering now, are they? And they were suffering before. And they have a resurrection hope, right?

And how about all those householders that rejected us, and as we walked away we said, with ice in our veins and stone-hard hearts: "Well, that person is a goat, and gonna die at Armageddon for sure."

The common factor here is the de-personalization that the WTS engenders, the sociopathic perspective on life and death that goes hand-in-hand with "we're God's chosen people, and the rest of the world is doomed" mentality.

I'm no psychiatrist, but I'd say Longo was a sociopath. His religion fundamentally fostered that weakness, indirectly perhaps, but in ways that are not mere speculation.

Craig

• Sabine
    Sabine
    The common factor here is the de-personalization that the WTS engenders, the sociopathic perspective on life and death that goes hand-in-hand with "we're God's chosen people, and the rest of the world is doomed" mentality.

I'm no psychiatrist, but I'd say Longo was a sociopath. His religion fundamentally fostered that weakness, indirectly perhaps, but in ways that are not mere speculation.

Very well stated Craig, this is what I was trying to express in my email to Court TV.

Are sociopaths born or made, I don't know. The responses I got when my daughter died from JWs was just as chilling as watching Mr. Longo testify. I even mentioned to the elders that one young witness in particular was displaying sociopath behaviors, and they came down hard on me for even thinking such a thing. She was my daughter's best friend and was instumental in her getting involved with the young crowd of "double lifer's" as I called them back then. My daughter wrote her a suicide note which she to this day has never come to my home to read. She was seen by several JWs laughing and having a good time at a party the day after my daughter's death...it just seemed so horribly insensitive. But instead on focusing on what could have driven my daughter to kill herself, it was much easier to blame me since I was questioning the elder's part in it and the fact that most of the young JWs in my local congregation were living secret lives because of the unrealistic rules and restrictions placed on them.

• qwerty
    qwerty

Amac........You said

I'm sorry Mulan and Qwerty, but being a JW has fzuacpkp-all to do with him being a cold blooded murdering psycho. What connection are you trying to make between this case and JWs by sending them emails? The ONLY connection would be to say that being a JW was responsible for this in some way. There is NO other connection. He deserves no mercy! Why help him?

Why help him? I suppose it comes across that way! My purpose in sending the email was to open the Jury's eye to JW's (that's if the Jury actually get to read them). The last thing I want is to stop the murder from receiving less than what he deserves to get! I am in the UK so I could not see the trial and how he reacted.

Qwerty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit