Observations from an Ex-Elder Part 1

by doubtfull1799 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

I was thinking about the FOG model this morning, particularly about the "Obligation" part.

My mind went back to the last Elders school I went to. One of the parts in the section on appointments was discussing how we should not place too high a bar (human standards) for brothers to try and jump over when we are considering them for appointment as a Ministerial Servant. That they only needed to demonstrate the Biblical qualities to a "reasonable" degree.

Then I was thinking about the very last elders meeting I attended with the CO (which also happened to be the one I resigned at). The body was recommending a fine young man to be appointed as a Mistrial Servant. But the CO squashed our recommendation. This man had made such fine progress in the last couple of years and was doing so much in the congregation, working on sound and stage, handling the accounts (which was always a difficult and time consuming job) etc etc. But his hours were not as high as is normally expected, especially for a brother without kids, just wife to take care of.

We pointed out to the CO that the mans wife was going through some prolonged and difficult health and emotional issues, that the mans hours were not a true reflection of his zeal as he was doing so much (non-witnessing) work in the congregation. However the CO would not have a bar of it. He coldly and unmercifully suggested that all the work this man did for the congregation and the brothers meant nothing if his hours were not at the bar the Society (unofficially but in all reality) set. That this brother should be encouraged to do less other stuff and spend longer out in the ministry, the other stuff (practical and charitable things like helping brothers move house, working on hall maintenance, helping with IT issues at the hall etc). It dismayed me so much and I realised we were all just bean counters, our mentality was only concerned with time sheets, not with real human help.

It disgusted me that a humans worth was measured only by the hours on his report card! This was one of the many reasons I resigned that night. I could not longer be complicit in such an arrangement.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Amazing post ! Would of loved to of seen the faces present when you announced your resignation !

• neverendingjourney
  • Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I learn the hard way like you that CO could care less about any charitable works one does in the congregation. It all about the worship of the almighty hours spent out in field service. You could be the biggest SOB alive but if you have high hours you are great and wonderful. Worthy of CA parts or demo. I came to loathe this thinking. Thank-you for bringing out this information. Still Totally ADD

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

Yes neverendingjourney, so true. Very hard to keep up. I served as the PO for many years but move to a new cong before jw.org got into full swing. I used to think how lucky I was that I was no longer PO as I watched how many letters would come into our inboxes every week that needs to be implemented....

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

One of the parts in the section on appointments was discussing how we should not place too high a bar (human standards) for brothers to try and jump over when we are considering them for appointment as a Ministerial Servant. That they only needed to demonstrate the Biblical qualities to a "reasonable" degree.

The most recent letter from the Branch only requires that they be able to "fog a mirror".

But his hours were not as high as is normally expected, especially for a brother without kids, just wife to take care of.

Backassward thinking. The brothers without kids do not have the "luxury" of counting 4 hours every month for the token 10 minutes they spend on Family Worship (that is typically even forgotten more often than not).

Obviously the brother you speak of did not wine & dine your CO, less the CO would have given consideration to the fact that he was kind and generous in his treatment of Christ's Princes.

• stillin
    stillin

I realized a couple of years ago that I was best off if I simply don't care that the elders don't care. I do what I can. I'm open to suggestions. But in the end, I will do what I will do. Sound familiar?

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

It certainly has been a prevelege reading your insights since you came on board

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

So true it's not about helping people in to the Truff but the hours. 1 bible study is great but ten useless hours is better.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

The org can't quantify good Christian deeds for their Yearbook statistics, so taking care of "widows & orphans" is totally irrelevant when compared to zombie-trolley "witnessing."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit