Do You Fear Death?

by think41self 31 Replies latest jw friends

• bigboi
    bigboi

Hey Everybody:

I don't fear death in the least. Although I must say I know I would probably miss living a whole lot if i died, otherwise I don't think ppl would resist death so much. I mean ppl in some traditional churches act so wild at funerals, even though most of them believe that the person is still living in a better place. I hope there is an afterlife although i'm not too sure of it. Still in all i know I would miss living here because whatever else is out there just doesn't seem as inviting as good ol mama eath.

Peace:

Bigboi

"..... anyone who ignores everyday reality in order to live up to an ideal will soon discover he had been taught how to destroy himself, not how to preserve himself." The Prince. Niccolo Machiavelli.

• think41self
    think41self

Teejay: I'm sure you'll go as a happy, satisfied old fellow, sleeping peacefully in your own soft bed....no gutter for you, buddy

Patio: Isn't that why we have living wills and such? Just make sure you have people who know your wishes and that you trust.

HadEnough: Know exactly what you mean! I wasn't supposed to get old enough to even get out of school, much less have children of my own! Yet here I am, 38 and with kids 15 & 16. And yes, when you remove old belief systems, you are left with a void, which in itself is frightening! And while I certainly don't dwell on thoughts of dying, I would much rather face the future without some fantasy dream that for all I know would desert me at the moment of truth anyway.

Expat: As usual, you have put it succintly: One way, we'll get an answer. The other way, we won't know enough to care. I can live with that!

Bigboi: I'm with you, I like it here, even with the problems. But then again, I used to think I wouldn't like sailing, too many things I couldn't control. Now I love it, for the very reasons I used to fear, I can't control most of it, and must just go with the wind. So who knows, maybe that is what is next for us?

think41self

• Winston Smith
    Winston Smith

Do I fear death?

While I was still in, of course. The thought of somehow being such a terrible person as to not merit a ressurection kept me awake more than a few nights. In the 3 years I've been out, I'm much more comfortable with the whole idea. I don't have a firm conviction that there will be any ressurection, or afterlife for anyone. Having that view, when I'm dead, I'm asleep, and really won't know it. There's no reason for fear in that situation, at least for me.

Now, that's not to say I'm not uneasy about the whole idea. I think of the loved ones left behind, and the pain it will cause. But I also consider this view to be a very positive motivating factor. Since this life is all I have, every day has to count. I'm constantly re-assesing how I'm living my life, and treating others. That is extremely different than the mode of life I lived in the tower, putting the important things and relationships on hold, not feeling that I had to lift a finger to make this world a better place. I was merely existing, going thru the motions.....not really living at all. Sure, I was active as a JW in JW activities, thought I was doing good, but looking back on it all, I have to admit that fear was a huge motivational factor. Add to that too, the burning desire to save my own ass when the_loving_god killed the majority of the earth's population.

Since death is inevitable, when it comes, my goal is to have no regrets, and acccept it. After all, it is a part of life.

-Winston

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

think41self:

Thank you for starting this topic. Being new thinking on my own without running to the index for what I should be doing, this has been one of the thoughts foremost in my mind. What now is the real truth about our eventuality?

I agree with your thought:

I would much rather face the future without some fantasy dream

So now comes the work of trying to figure out what makes more sense to me now. I'm cautious now...not ready to jump at the next pretty picture.

Like Winston, I was active in JW activities "putting the important things and relationships on hold, not feeling that I had to lift a finger to make this world a better place. I was merely existing, going thru the motions.....not really living at all". Add to that (as he said) being motivated by fear and a desire to save myself (and feeling guilty that that was the wrong motivation).

Now I don't look at things with a lax attitude like I'll have eternity to work that out so why worry about it now. Now each day counts. Each day that I can talk to my little grandchild and hear her enthusiasm to be with me, I count as something to cherish. I can't imagine how anyone following the shunning rule can uphold it, when I'm experiencing what they (the rest of my family) are missing. But therein lies the difference between believing you'll live forever and facing the reality of death.

Quite simply...life is for living, not just existing.

Had Enough

• think41self
    think41self

Winston,

What a positive outlook

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Had Enough...so it's true we're never too old to learn new things, right? You go girl

think41self

• pamkw
    pamkw

The one thing I do enjoy is living my live now. My mother is still wasting her live, waiting for
    that big wonderful thing to happen in the future. I always wondered why we couldn't be happy
    now, why we had to wait. I no longer wait. I do things now that make me happy.

But as a kid, I remember thinking, being dead wouldn't be an worse than my life was then, at least
    I wouldn't feel anything. So I developed the attitude that either way dead or alive, I was better off.
    I knew too, that I wasn't good enough to for Jehovah to save.

It is sad how terrible I felt for years. Now I don't have that guilt. Being free is a great thing.

Pam

• bajarama
    bajarama

There are no sure answers. Only questions. I do hope after this short life somebody has another party planned.

R.V.S.P.

bajarama

• Sozo
    Sozo

I can totally relate to the emotions and anxities you described. When I was a JW - I never felt I made God happy or proud of my efforts. I was a JW for 20 years and looking back I don't recall ever a period of time of joy. Thinking about Armgeddon scared me because I never felt "good enough". Because of that feeling I left the organization but the teachings stayed engrained into my soul for another 13 years.

What changed all of this? My heart was searching for God still, I wondered if there was anything else out in this world that had answers about the "end times" other than JWs. I met with a man who does research on cults. This man showed me information on the JWs teachings that blew my socks off and the walls came crashing down around me. I felt lied to all these years what I thought was the truth is nothing more than about an man made organization controlling people,destroying them and the families lives.

My question became......if JWs teachings are false then what is truth....all those questions came flooding. Questions like: Can I go to heaven, is there a hell? Who is Jesus, what is the Holy Spirit?

After meeting with the research I began to read a Bible (not the NWT)and things began to become so clear and for the first time I felt loved. I gave my life to Christ.

Reading the posts concerning death....it seems that many are not sure what will happen. Its so important to know what the truth is before faced with death, we all will face it one day. If you can allow God to move you beyond the clutches of the JW teachings, He can set you free and give you a peace in the heart that I cannot explain, other than its a wonderful feeling. God promises that if any should die before He returns that we will have eternal life in heaven.

Many mentioned that being a JW always felt unworthy.....scripture says that we are unworthy and apart from God if we are not "born again" and ask Jesus into our heart and claim Him our Lord and Savior. Once we do we are sealed and become apart of His family....never to be removed. God loves us outragiously, he desires each and every one of us to have a relationship with and to communicate with.

My prayers have been that all JWs search the truth between themselves and God. Its the ultimate freedom.

• think41self
    think41self

Pam, I too feel badly for my Mom, waiting for something to happen that never will. But at her age, maybe it is better she clings to this dream than faces reality? And I am glad that you have found freedom also, and no longer feel unnecessary fear, or disapproval. We are all as good as we can be, right?

Baja: You are so right, only questions. Maybe that is our purpose in life, to ask the right questions? And if I receive an invite to the party buddy, I'm sending one along to you, deal?

Sozo: I am so glad you finally found freedom from the ingrained fears. That is no way to live! I am also happy that you have found peace and love. Let me clarify something, though. Yes, most who responded said they do not "know" what will happen, and frankly, neither do you. Not to undermine your faith or beliefs, but that is what you have. A belief, a hope. That is not the same as "knowing". And while we feel we do not know the answers, we all said we are free of fear, and can live with questions. So do not mistake our sharing of questions for a request for answers. It is my opinion that you, nor anyone else, has the answers.

I do feel that I am free of the clutches of the WT teachings, but that does not mean I feel the need to replace them with another teaching. I am glad that you feel sure in your beliefs, but please understand that to me, your preaching of "Christ's love" and being "born again", are just another set of man made teachings. I hope there is a creator, and I hope he does love his creation. In the end, isn't that the only hope any of us have, regardless of religion or spiritual dogma

Thank you all for sharing, think41self

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

My 4 1/2 cents on the matter. I'm not sure if this has been said already, as i was just skimming over the other posts, but i do not fear death as much as i fear how i COULD die. I used to spend endless nights awake as a little kid thinking about getting my toe caught in the drain in the swimming pool at our apartment complex. for some reason, drowning has always scared me the most. If i had a choice, i want to die in a way that will fascinate me. Such as being struck by a meteorite. Struck by lightning. Swept up into a tornado. As for the afterlife? Well, i'm not too concerned bout that either. I don't believe in hell. And being eternally dead wouldn't be that much of a punishment for not being a "religious" person, especially if death is anything like sleeping. But my main pleasure in life is making other people smile. I love to hear others laugh with me and at me. And if God finds THAT punishable, then may i eternally RIP.

"No cool quote yet. but i'll think of one soon."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit