Hello

by enigma 14 Replies latest jw friends

• enigma
    enigma

Just wanted to say hello. Been lurking for awile. Lots of great info. I want to get my father and sister to open there eyes so to speak. My father was raised a dub and so was my sister of course. They are both very intelligent (yeah I know) and I probably have a better chance of raising the titanic than convincing my dad that his religon is a sham. But I am going to try regardless. The thing is they live out of state and my contact is limited to email and phone except for a couple times a year. Any reccomendations on where I should start my infiltration program?

Thanks in advance,

Enigma

• Brummie
    Brummie

Hello Enigma and Welcome to the board.

Just dropping the odd question here and there will probably be more fruitful than diving straight in to attack your fathers blind faith.

Good to have you join us...I assume you were raised in it too?

Brummie

• ballistic
    ballistic

Hello and welcome. I always try to imagine people as children when about to try what you propose. Treat them very gently and take your time. Storming in and preaching will make them more stubborn.

• kproscts
    kproscts

All of my family is still in and I would love to get my Mom and a couple others out. I have been thinking lately about how to go about it, you have to share anything that works or went poorly, just FYI for us.

I have come to believe that if I reference anything other than factual information, they will not listen. It CAN'T be an attack on Jehovah, but more so the WT & GB. So I am in the process of putting this all together.

My problem is my mom has been in so long and holds on so hard that if I were able to shake her "faith", it would crush her world and she would be devisated that she "shuned" me and my brother for all of these years.

I don't know which would be worse, to continue as we are limited contact and just dealing with the BS or to go for it and win and have her devistated like that?

Good luck to you though and drop a line about how it goes.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Welcome Enigma.

I loved your comments re: Titanic (that was cute).

Anyways, I think it's steady-the-course, but take your time and don't hold out any high expectations. Things re: JWs are not overnight (I know you know this). Takes some time, but it can be done.

Welcome to the forum and I certainly hope that you will post more in the near future, and of course, keep us posted in regards to your family members.

Best wishes.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Hello enigma! I'd like to get my family out as well and I'm not sure the best route to go. I've been emailing my mother news articles on evolution and the Witnesses, when they make the news. I'm trying to slowly get her to think about these issues. If you see any good articles posted here pass them on. Every tiny bit may just help.

~Aztec

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Enigma: Welcome and best of luck deprogramming your family

• myself
    myself

Welcome Enigma!!!!!

My sister raised a few questions, or gave sublte statements that made me raise my eyebrows and start seeking out the answers for myself. She knew I had been inactive for a long time, but because of the cult mentality I didn't question whether they might not have the "truth" afterall. She was very respectful as to my feelings and asked me a few times how I felt about the religion before she subltley started me on my search.I am glad she had the courage to do this in spite of the chance of being labled an apostate and risk losing contact with family who would remain in.

Karla

• shera
    shera

Hello and welcome

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hi Enigma, Welcome!

My sons are plotting how to get me into the group you want to get your relatives out of. They think by shunning me I will want to join up with them and their book publishing business.

My suggestion to everyone with relatives in an abusive high control religious group is to establish a busy, enjoyable, comfortable life without any fragments of those people in that life. My reason for that is this: If we wait to have a comfortable, enjoyable life until they join us on our terms, we may miss our own life in our freedom.

All the exits I have watched have had these elements usually in this order.

1. Fight to stay
    2. Denial of self
    3. Questioning
    4. Confrontation
    5. Anger
    6. Attempt to rescue others
    7. Establishment of rejection
    8. Analysis
    9. Sadness
    10. Acceptance

Many of us get stuck in one stage and beak free just to get stuck in another. If we live long enough and keep working through all the stages, we do recover and move on.

Often when a group member sees us in acceptance, they attempt to reestablish contact and get back in our lives so they can once again reject us and set us up to repeat the cycle. They want us to stay in the turmoil cycle. When they see us satisfied and happy without them, that is a disconfirmation for them, and they need to take steps to break that by breaking us.

Can you find yourself in the 10 steps? Comments? Anyone else?

Gary

The Way I See it http://www.freeminds.org/buss/buss.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit