Again - another measles exposure at Watchtower locations in New York

by OrphanCrow 8 Replies latest jw friends

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

http://abc7ny.com/health/heres-how-to-find-out-if-youve-been-exposed-to-measles/3376832/

Two tourists from Europe sparked a local measles scare.
    New York State health officials say anyone who visited the following locations may have been exposed:
    - Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses in Brooklyn (April 15th)
    - Watchtower facilities in Orange and Putnam Counties (April 16th and 17th)
    Health officials say the risk of developing measles is low for anyone who has been vaccinated or is immune.
    Symptoms include fever, rash a cough and runny nose.
    Anyone who thinks they may have been affected should call their doctor if they experience symptoms.

This is the second measles exposure at WT locations in NY. The last one occurred 2 months ago:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5035465511010304/warning-possible-measles-exposure-watchtower-bible-tour

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

this was also covered by WNBC here in NYC too, I knew I heard this happened before up at Warwick a while back like it says it happened two months ago, what's up with foreign JWs and the measles?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Shirley: what's up with foreign JWs and the measles?

I don't think it is just JWs.

Measles has spiked dramatically in European countries:

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43125242

Europe has seen a big surge in measles cases in 2017, which the World Health Organization says is a tragedy after a record low of 5,273 cases in 2016.
    Cases increased four-fold, with more than 20,000 people affected and 35 deaths.
    Fifteen European region countries, including the UK, had large outbreaks. Measles cases were highest in Romania, Italy and Ukraine.
    People shunning vaccination is part of the problem, say experts.
    Although research published 20 years ago about a possible link between the MMR vaccine and autism has been discredited, the scare it created damaged some people's trust of the vaccine.
    Measles is a highly infectious viral illness that can be deadly.
    The MMR vaccine can prevent it.
  • steve2
    steve2

I could be wrong, but I do know that unknown numbers of JWs are anti-vaccinations and that this raises the risk of outbreaks.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

The anti vaccination thing among witnesses is well more than 60 years ago. Im in my mid 40’s and was vaccinated by my witness parents. The cult hasnt had an anti vaccination screed published in my lifetime. There may be pockets of witnesses who hold on to it but its not been an official or even unofficial position in a very long time

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I'm, in my mid 50's and I had all the various different measles, including the type vaccinated for, Rubella. I am immune now for life, and it helped my nursed children to be more resistant through their early baby months. It was during the time my sister was young that the first measles vaccine came out, it was the "dead" call vaccine around 1963 or so. That vaccine did not protect. Later on came the more effective live vaccine. As an older adult she got the vaccine as she was unprotected during her child bearing years. ( The main reason for the measles vaccine is the chance of childbearing age women contracting rubella when pregnant)

Even the vaccinations of the 1980's can become ineffective. My daughter was tested for measles titers in her blood work due to the need to hurriedly get the results before I could get them sent to her for her nursing college admissions. She had the proper vaccine and booster, but was shown as having no titers for it, as if she never had the vaccine.

So there are likely plenty of people around susceptible to measles.

• steve2
    steve2

Good point Morpheus. That said, it is not uncommon among Witnesses to find those who are heavily into alternative approaches to health, including some fairly crackpot practices. My home congregation had a handful of uber JW sisters who were into Iridology and homeopathy and when given a chance to air their views, spoke out against doctors.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Yea the iridology thing made the rounds here in the washington dc area as well. Imagine, people in cults eschewing modern medicine ;)

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

I know of several jws parents who refused to vaccinate their kids cos they suspected the vaccine was made from blood! Yep....

And I know of several first aid situations in the kh where the zealous homeopathy sister took charge over the trained first aider who was trying to render assistance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit