Why this obsession with Standardisation?

by eyeslice2 29 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice2
    eyeslice2

The longer I am out, the the less I understand the logic of this organisation.

I thought that the kingdom hall my wife attends was perfectly fine and adequate, in fact I liked that it sat in grassy grounds, surrounded by trees. It probably wasn't in any dire need of re-decorating at this point. Others, obviously, thought otherwise and so the hall has recently been subjected to a make-over.

The parking lot has been extended in true Joni Michell they've "paved paradise and put up a parking lot". They've taken up the grass and cut down the trees, even though the reality is that the old parking lot was never really full. And now everyone thinks the new layout will be wonderful.

The old chairs seemed to me to be fine and the new ones actually no better, but when I inquired about this I was told that these are society "standard issue".

Same with the air conditioning. The hall always seemed to be perfectly cool to me, and even though we live in a very hot climate the old units coped well. But no, we need new ones, again as recommended (aka dictated) by the society.

I was also proudly told that the new colour scheme was selected from a society suggested (aka dictated) colour palette.

The whole thing is just another example of control by rigid enforcement of arbitrary standards. Given past local examples of skirts no shorter than 2 inches below the knee, white shirts only on the platform, I am sure the WT society would love to control every little aspect of everyone's life.

What a boring place this world would be if everyone dressed the same, went to the same drab, unimaginative kingdom halls, ate the same regulation food and sang the same dreary songs. Is that the world the JW believers really want?

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate

sang the same dreary songs.

Here is one I hate. It's not necessarily dreary, but it sucks chunky munkey ballz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftKx7N8QBSo

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

A KH make-over suggests they wanted to sell it but something is preventing it. So they get the cong to donate funds for a make-over.

They did a similar thing with the chairs at, what was, my KH, until I was thrown out for saying the number 19 is followed by the number 20, not the number 2. Maybe they want to standardise maths with their own particular order of numbers with newly assigned values.

My maths teacher became a Watchtower user. When I tried to point at the anomalies to her she became indignant and said if I carried on like this I would stumble her out of the truth.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

What is it with the size of those song books ?, I guess the music department hasn`t caught up with Jah`s chariot yet and put them onto "get smart" phones.

Who are they , ? the sixteen tenors ? and not a lady among them ( or is there ?)

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Standardization does indeed rule the day in respect of K/halls. Do they buy in bulk for big discounts? My wife's hall was made over for no apparent reason.

Yes. They would like to rule every facet of their people's lives.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

That sounds vile, chopping down the trees and pulling up the grass. Paving a car park they don't need but then the WTS don't really want beautiful KHs for the members do they? They want them ready to sell as plain office buildings or industrial sites. Paradise is for the bigwigs in Warwick with their landscaped gardens.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Where are the chairs etc bought from?

Follow the money.

• zeb
    zeb

OSFA.

One size fits All.

If it does not fit it is dumped..

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Why are they spending /wasting so much money nowadays ? On this crap ? Don`t they see the writing on the wall ?

Or are they still so delusional .

In the western world where the money is they are at most stagnant if not in fact losing members .And while they are selling real estate that they own and getting millions of dollars now ,that is all going to erode sooner or later. Where they still might have some growth in membership are poor people with little money to finance the organization.

Sooner or later they are going to face a crunch time .

Sooner or later their will be a crunch.

Do you possibly think that they, the GB , might actually believe that Armageddon will come before crunch time really comes ?

Where they still might have some growth in membership are poor people with little money to finance the organization.

• Half banana
    Half banana

I nearly vomited on hearing the schmaltzy singing (designed purely for JW cultural reinforcement) but I still love Joni Mitchel's Big Yellow Taxi with its 1970's eco-message, still true over the decades.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit