Did Jesus Christ exist at all?

by Tyler 83 Replies latest watchtower bible

• KGB
    KGB

Gumby,

Maybe because they were so well taught they already knew what he was talking about, and besides I don`t believe that every single word of every single conversation was written in the scriptures. There are many places in the bible where subjects seemed to be uncompleted and it could be that the transcripts were destroyed by time after all they layed in caves for many many years before they were found. So it could be that those who put these words together put them together with only what they had or was able to transcribe.

• gumby
    gumby
    Maybe because they were so well taught they already knew what he was talking about

He said the holy spirit would LATER reveal things to them. They still quarrelled over what he meant as they do today.

There are many places in the bible where subjects seemed to be uncompleted and it could be that the transcripts were destroyed by time after all they layed in caves for many many years before they were found. So it could be that those who put these words together put them together with only what they had or was able to transcribe.

Then god did not do a good job in giving us a book that is meant to lead mankind to salvation. How hard would it be for an all powerfull God to preserve a supposed livesaving book?

I don't doubt god....I doubt what is attributed to him.

Gumby

• hooberus
    hooberus
    drawcard said: Since, the gospels were written after 70 CE and not by the people that are given credit for them (the gospel of Mathew was not written by the apostle Mathew etc.).

Many scholars including some not so conservative date the gospels pre-70 (AT Robertson fror instance Redating The New Testament). Matthew was written by Matthew (testimony of early fathers).

Also, the gospel of Luke states that all of the information comes from second hand sources I do not see how the references made about Jesus could be given much respect.

Luke went to primary sources, as well as himself "having had a perfect understanding of all these things from the very first." Luke Chapter 1 1: Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us,
    2: Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;
    3: It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus, 4: That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed. Acts Chapter 1 1: The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,
    2: Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen:
    3: To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:

Paul never saw Jesus except in a heat induced delusional vision and was just writting down what he had heard or he felt was true about Jesus and most of his writtings are earlier than the Gospels.

Paul (who before his vision was a pharisee who persecuted Christians certainly knew the details of the historical Jesus). see 1 Corinthians Chapter 15, and Acts 13:16-37 where Paul links Jesus with historical persons such as John the Baptist and Pilate. Acts 13 16: Then Paul stood up, and beckoning with his hand said, Men of Israel, and ye that fear God, give audience. . . 23: Of this man's seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus: 24: When John had first preached before his coming the baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel. 25: And as John fulfilled his course, he said, Whom think ye that I am? I am not he. But, behold, there cometh one after me, whose shoes of his feet I am not worthy to loose. 26: Men and brethren, children of the stock of Abraham, and whosoever among you feareth God, to you is the word of this salvation sent. 7: For they that dwell at Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they knew him not, nor yet the voices of the prophets which are read every sabbath day, they have fulfilled them in condemning him. 28: And though they found no cause of death in him, yet desired they Pilate that he should be slain.

To say that Jesus must be true, because other characters mentioned in the gospels are known to have exsisted would allow us to say that many characters in Greek mythology are also true. Many times fables are made up around actual events in world history.

Wrong, there is an abundant difference between the historicity of things in the gospels (the crucifixion by pilate for instance see my first post) and pagan myths.

If you include the quote from Josephus it is because you are grasping for straws and have not read any debates on the issue. He was not contemporary, the quote does not appear in earlier translations, he was a devout jew who called Jesus the Christ, he only gave the Christ a couple of sentences yet gave other messiahs whole chapters.

I believe that the quotes from Josephus that I quoted in my first post (the pilate section of the TF, as well as the James reference) are in all the manuscripts of Josephus as well as in the early translations. Which "other messiahs" are you refering to? Were they military rebels?

• hooberus
    hooberus
    peacefulpete said: To Hooberus and Thi Chi...Matt 6:7..Do not say the same things over and over again..they imagine they will get a hearing for their use of many words. This endless cut and pasting is getting in the way of free exchange of ideas.

I think that my posts are reasonably brief considering the fact that they have a large amount of primary source data. Long posts such as those pasted by Thi Chi should be linked insted of posted. Thi Chi may wish to provide a relatively brief segment from them which supports his point and then provide a link for context.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

""To Hooberus and Thi Chi...Matt 6:7..Do not say the same things over and over again..they imagine they will get a hearing for their use of many words. This endless cut and pasting is getting in the way of free exchange of ideas. ""

Pure rubbish. The subject demands detailed information to back the reasons for the claim. If you are only interested in the simplistic exchange of Ideas, then I can’t help you....... If we use your logic, then the Bible itself becomes very wordy.....Read and learn.

Thanks Hooberus....

• Faraon
    Faraon

Hooberus,

Are you writing in a kind of different Operating System?

I have to bypass your posts sometimes because invariably, they tend to have too much blank space in them. It sometimes takes me three minutes to go through one of your posts.

Has anyone noticed this, or is it my computer that seems to clash with the one Hooberus uses?

• seedy3
    seedy3

You know this subject really goes no where. I have yet to see any credible accounts from historians that mention "Jesus" as a person, from the time period that he lived or even a few decades afterwards. All of the "Evidence" that anyone has shown was written either as a forgery (as in Josephus), from christian tradition (as in the case of Tacitus), or from what their mommy and daddy said (as in the case of the NT). Show me one, just one historian, that wrote anything about Jesus between 20ad and 70ad. You can't becasue there is nothing, Even Philo, who was a homie of Jesus, from the same town, grew up in what should have been together, has not a single word to say about him (although the writings of Philo are lost today, they are mentioned by Justin Martyr and his comment was "I can't beleive he never mentioned a single word about Jesus). So please explain why not one person wrote a single thing about this "Great Man/God" until after 70ad/ce what ever you want to use?

I read somewhere that there were somewhere around 20 historians that we still have a record of in some way or another that wrote during that time and not a single one of them makes any mention of this "Jesus". There is no more "Clear" evidence for Jesus then there is for any other Man/God, Attis, Dyonysis, Mithra, Mithras, Osris, and the list goes on.

Seedy

PS. I have not seen any Archeological evidence that "Proves" Jesus existed, Receintly there was found a coffin that is marked "James the Brother of Jesus", but the Jury is still out on this one, and even if a James had been buried in the coffin, is still not evidence, the name Joshuha (Yeshuah) was a common name amung the hebrews as was James (I dunno how that would be pronounced in hebrew)

• drawcad_1
    drawcad_1

good points speedy3.

• Tyler
    Tyler

Yames?

• gumby
    gumby
    PS. I have not seen any Archeological evidence that "Proves" Jesus existed

Doncha ya know seedy........they found Jesus sandles with his name etched in the side? In fact......I have THE COIN he got from the fishes mouth that he payed his taxes with!

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit