Spies?

by Wolfy 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Wolfy
    Wolfy

I see alot of references on this site regarding "lurkers" and "spies". I have been thinking a bit on this topic and came up with a question. Do you think the Governments or other religious organizations plant moles or spies among the JW's?

I feel that they can and probably have to some extent. I of course have no proof of this but it makes sense that they keep track of what the religious groups are doing.

Wolfy

• Prisca
    Prisca

Usually when people talk about "spies" on this board, they mean actual JWs who lurk or even post and pretend to be ex-JWs, to get information on people or general trends in the ex-JW world. Some may be publishers or elders from a congregation looking for someone they suspect to be an "Apostate", other times it might be someone who is working for a Bethel branch.

As for Govt "spies" it's possible but not likely. If they really want to see what's happening in the JWs they may fake interest as a Bible Study, but I don't think the Govts are that worried about Christian religions.

There's no reason to be paranoid, but there is always the need for caution when revealing information about yourself on here or to someone you meet via the Net, namely, don't reveal info that you don't want to be revealed publically.

• Wolfy
    Wolfy

I guess I am a bit paranoid..lol. I was thinking that with all the scandals rocking the religious groups today that governments may take a closer look in their own backyard when it comes to religious groups.

Thanks for your reply Prisca:)

Wolfy

• jgnat
    jgnat

I don't think it is fair to call a lurker a "spy". There are plenty of newbies that sign up that spent months or even a year lurking, reading, thinking, before they made the plunge. I hope there are TONS of lurkers, reading, thinking, weighing their choices, making up their minds.

Not everybody is ready to take on Farkel on the first go.

• PurpleV
    PurpleV
    I don't think the Govts are that worried about Christian religions

While you are technically right, the JWs may have fooled the governments into categorizing them as Christian, in actuality the JWs are about as anti-Christian a religion as you could get!

[insert smiley face here, can't use the icons at work]

• Wolfy
    Wolfy

jgnat wrote "I don't think it is fair to call a lurker a "spy".

Your right. I was a lurker for awhile before I took the plunge and signed up. I feel that there are people that visit this site "lurk" a bit glean some info and move on. On the other hand they just might sign up and become a member of this forum.

It also wouldn't surprise me if dubs visited this site to see if they can figure out who the posters are. I remember how nosy some in the org are. Always looking for a chance to trip you up or get you in trouble. Not really spies but troublemakers IMO.

I was thinking mostly about spies in NY or in other branches throughout the world. I think it is possible but as to whether it has happened I don't know.

I know I would feel sorry for the poor sap that got the assignment though.lol

Wolfy

• jws
    jws

At one time, several top JWs were jailed for anti-american comments (actually anti-government). At least at some point, somebody was keeping an eye on what they were writing. As for some deep undercover assignment inside Bethel? I doubt it. I don't think the JWs are "interesting" enough for that much commitment. Would they possibly send a "spy" to a congregation to keep tabs on what is being preached? Possibly. I would be surprised if some sort of spying didn't happen after the GB was released from prison. And the govt probably keeps tabs on religions today too.

Got to remember, the JWs are preaching the fall of governments. Most JWs today believe that will be done by supernatural powers, but in the early days, it was speculated that followers might have to take part in that fall and help overthrow governments by their own hands. That's what earned them jail time. But any group that preaches that the government will be overthrown probably earns some sort of survelience.

• FreeofGuilt
    FreeofGuilt

This topic makes me never want to put my pic or personal info on the net--- ! kristine

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit