So where oh where did Judge Rutherford come up with JW theology?

by Terry 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I think it said the Great Pyramid was God's (or Jehovah's) stone witness, but maybe one time it specifically said "the Great Pyramid was Jehovah's witness".

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I am shocked to read the claim that all or even most or even some) of the books which claim to be authored by Rutherford were actually authored by Fred Franz! However the claim might explain why such a large number of books are in Rutherford's name. I would think from time to time how could one person (such as Rutherford) write so many books and booklets? I think that the Harp of God and Deliverance books are some of the best written books of those which are in Rutherford's name, and of those published by the WT. The vast majority of the doctrines in most of the chapters of the latter book seem to be the same as what the WT taught in 1995, but with some minor changes in some teachings. It would be a bit sad to me if I were to conclude that Rutherford didn't write those books.

One time while I reading parts of the Deliverance book (despite me being an atheist) I was so in awe of the reasoning (and facts presented in support of such), and so fond of the joyous message of the content about Christ already ruling and already uplifting human society (and of Christ speaking softly to individual Christians in their minds to instruct them and to direct them, invisibly from heaven), that for several minutes with intense emotion (holding back tears of joy and appreciation) I said out loud to myself "It is true! It is true! It is the truth!" After several minutes of that reaction, I came back to my senses. The book was published in the early 1920s and thus in the "Roaring 20s" (of economic boom and technological marvels) and thus people living back then in the USA, in the peace of that post "Great War" (World War I) period, could easily think that the world is getting much better. Jews were returning to Palestine. Science was producing major medical cures. Engineers were inventing amazing labor saving devices; radio shows were being broadcast. Airplanes were being flown. The Directors of the WT had been released prison (after having been in prison for about 3.5 years or so) and those associated with the WT and the International Bible Students began/resumed earnestly advertising the kingdom.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

By the way, Rutherford's The Harp of God: Proof Conclusive that Millions now Living will never Die also uses the title "Lord" extensively, not just the name "Jehovah" extensively.

• carla
    carla

I wonder what current jw's would think of the Harp book? My jw wouldn't even look at it! I think because he believed I purchased the (original copy) from an apostate. Why that would make a difference I have no idea. It is/was genuine jw book. I think every jw should read it and see where it takes them. It is one of the more insane things I have ever read. That is saying a lot because I have no problem reading things that some might find a bit 'out there'.

• Terry
    Terry

The STALINESQUE purge of Kingdom Hall Libraries strongly reflects on
    Governing Body cover-up mentality by no means indicates humble
    acceptance of the fact they were always wrong.
    I wasted twenty years. What gobsmacks me (and breaks my heart)
    is that all but 2 of the 40 Brothers I was in Federal Prison with (neutrality issue)
    are STILL IN and so inveterated they've grown accustomed to the boring routine.
    Yes, secretly they "sort of" grumble about this and that - but - the last word
    always amounts to "Wait on Jehovah."
    It is the religious version of "battered wife syndrome".

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW
    Of course the library at the WT's international headquarters (the USA branch) has a copy of every WT publication ever printed, tough perhaps the vast majority of the of the people at Bethel have access to that library.
  • Reasonfirst
    Reasonfirst

Thank you Disillusioned JW, for the following comment:

Quote: 'One time while I reading parts of the Deliverance book (despite me being an atheist) I was so in awe of the reasoning (and facts presented in support of such), and so fond of the joyous message of the content about Christ already ruling and already uplifting human society (and of Christ speaking softly to individual Christians in their minds to instruct them and to direct them, invisibly from heaven), that for several minutes with intense emotion (holding back tears of joy and appreciation) I said out loud to myself "It is true! It is true! It is the truth!" After several minutes of that reaction, I came back to my senses.'

Clearly, I'm no longer part of that organisation, (or, any other religion). Your thoughts resonated with me, because I knew so many who, like myself earnestly believed the biblical promises.

I was a young idealist when I became a JW, it took some 3 years of study before I committed myself and was baptised. I fervently looked forward to the new world as the only way to achieve that ideal world I longed for. I rejoiced that 'the generation' which would see the start of that ideal world was the generation before my own. Therefore, I accepted Freddie's dating* of Armaggedon in 1975 as being about right, even though I had reservations based on Matthew 24:36. But my ideals took a battering, when 1975 came, and half way through that year, Nathan and Freddie arrived in Australia to tell us that it did not appear that the big A was going to start in 1975. Some time later a previous Branch Overseer (Doug Held) came out to visit Aust, and informed us that it could be 20 years away. ...

And so, here we are, near 50 years after 1975, with the generation that began in 1975, now nearing their old age, and much of the claimed associated rationale for 1975 disappearing down the sewer of history (a reference tor the crap about the 7th world power). And not forgetting my own old age, or the fact that soon I will also depart this life, just another idiot disappearing into the dust of history.

I sometimes ponder about Nathan and Freddie, I wonder what conversations/arguments they may have had about 1975 and its failure. I think Nathan (who was an organiser, not a thinker) died not just of cancer, but of a broken heart over the failure of WT hopes. And, why did the HQ staff, make Freddie the LIFE President. Did he insist, or he'd 'spill' the beans? Or, maybe the young Bethelites that ThomasMore referred to (quote: To get his viewpoints, you would have had to follow him to the sauna he frequeted weekly along with other young Bethelites who viewed him as the oracle of WTC, Socrates.') had achieved enough influence to ensure Freddie's life time tenure.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Correction: In my prior post where I said '... have access to that library" I meant to says "... have no access to that library".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit