Only Southerners know

by WildHorses 35 Replies latest jw friends

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Only a Southerner knows the difference between a 'hissie fit' and a 'conniption', and that you don't "have" them, you "pitch" them.

Only a Southerner knows how many fish, collard greens, turnip greens, peas, beans, etc. make up a 'mess'.

Only a Southerner can show, or point out the general direction of 'yonder'.

Only a Southerner knows how long 'directly' is, as in: "Goin' to town, be back directly."

Even Southern babies know that 'gimme some sugar' is not a request for the white, sweet, granular stuff that is in a pretty little bowl in the middle of the table.

Only a Southerner knows when 'by and by' is. They may not use the term, but they know the concept well.

Only a Southerner knows that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor with trouble is a plate of fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad. If the neighbor is in a real crises, they know to include a large banana puddin'.

Only a Southerner grows up knowing the difference between 'right near' and 'a far piece'. They also know that 'just down the road a spell' can be one mile or twenty miles.

Only a Southerner both knows, and understands, the difference between a 'redneck', a 'good ole boy' , and 'po' white trash'.

No true Southerner would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.

Only a Southerner knows that 'fixin' can be used as a noun, a verb, or an adverb.

Only a Southerner knows that 'booger' can describe a substance in the nose, or be a term of endearment, or is something that jumps out at you in the dark and scares you.

Only Southerners know that grits are made from corn, and how to cook and eat them properly.

Only a Southerner knows that sliced tomatoes, with eggs, bacon, and toast, make a wonderful breakfast. But fried green tomatoes are never a breakfast food.

Only a true Southerner says 'sweet tea' and 'sweet milk'. Sweet tea means you want lots of sugar in it- we don't like 'unsweet tea'. Sweet milk means you don't want butter milk.

Put 100 Southerners who don't know each other in a room, and half of them will discover that they are related, if only by marriage.

True Southerners never refer to only one person as" y'all".

And a true Southerner never screams obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 mph on the interstate. They just say "aw, bless her heart", and go on around her.

• avishai
    avishai

First response to this post

"I'm hungry"

2nd respnse:

I wanna move to the south, even if I am just a damnyankee.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

avishai,

You are not a damn yankee. You are just a yankee. You don't beocme a damn yankee untill you move to the south. I should know, I'm a damn yankee. Born in MN but moved here.

• searcher
    searcher

Grits?

Hm something else I have to try.

Y'all

*giggles*

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Yes, Searcher, you must try some G-R-I-T-S Girls Raised In The South

• searcher
    searcher
    Girls Raised In The South

Oh My !!

I just Love that southern female accent.

• dedalus
    dedalus

Lame.

• myself
    myself

damn yankee = a yankee who won't go home. Yep I am one too.

• Englishman
    Englishman

"Yonder", "Directly" and "By and by" are very common expressions in the west of England, particularly amongst the older generation.

Also, some of them use the word "Bide" for "Stay". "I think I'll bide for a while" would actually sound like "Oi thunk Oi'll boyd for a whoile".

Englishman.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Englishman,

I was just about to point out what you have already stated. Besides southerners, the only other people that have ever understood what I meant by yonder, ya reckon? and bide were people from the UK.

The phrases have got to be left over from the old country.

Robyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit