JW's - Zeal Without Knowledge?

by Trotafox 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Hm-m-m-m-m-m. Found this article. The following is for those of us on the board who are ex-JW and still Christian (I just know you ex-JW ex-Christians are chompin' at the bit...I can feel it through my computer...okay, okay; you can comment). Anyway, I found this to be quite interesting. Yes indeedy. Zeal is good for the right reason and the right person (i.e., Christ). Comments anyone? (I just know I'm going to regret this so I may disappear.

Trot

http://www.truthmagazine.com/archives/volume19/TM019178.htm

• rocketman
    rocketman

It's quite interesting. No need to run and hide trot.

• mann377
    mann377

Most of the Witnesses don't have the zeal that is commonly thought of by traditional definition. Most have a desire to please the higher ups or are intimidated by the organization thing or even ego. All one has to do is to engage in a conversation for a short period of time and ask questions about ones activety and listen to not what the person says but how they say it.

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Thanks, Rocketman. I'm timid at posting non-fluff things. I don't like to get involved in great debates.

Mann377: We know that but I think they are perceived by everyone else as being zealous. I mean there aren't many who will get out of bed on a Sat or Sun morning to go pound on doors (for the wrong person no less). Ergo "Gee, these people are really zealous". If they only knew many are only going throught he motions.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Since leaving I have found people form diverse religious backgrounds that are activly working for peace and environmental causes as well as local issues. Their zeal for these real matters seems at times indefatiguable. I question whether the 9 hours a month riding in a car measures up. This is especially true when you realize JWs don't give of themselves for charity and community issues or political causes for the good of their neighbor. The high profile nature of the proseletyzing has given the exagerated perseption of great zeal. One of my "students" was nearly "stumbled" when he learned that not all JWs had sold their belongings to pioneer! I was a pioneer and missionary for 15 years and PO to boot yet the the demands upon me were no more than those undertaken voluntarily by many of my new associates.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

sorry about the typos, I still can't edit.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

the word 'zeal' grates on me now. who else but JWs and XJWs use this word on a regualr basis? I prefer to use the word 'passion' to describe things I feel strongly about. 'Zeal' to me now, has an slightly insane edge to it now--off-balanced, fanatical.

Passion and knowledge can each stand alone. They can support each other or not. I don't see the importance of both together like JWs put on them. (Alot of things JWs base their whole lives around I find to be trivial at best now...)

Ravyn

• dedalus
    dedalus

Yeah, what Ravyn said.

Dedalus

• rocketman
    rocketman

I wonder how zealous they'd be about 'fine works' such as helping the poor, working a soup kitchen, visiting the sick, etc.

Their "zeal" is often based on compulsion. "I need to get my time in" is a phrase often heard with regard to field service. On many days, they are content to ride around and make return visits and then stop for a long coffee break (who can blame them?).

I often found that, when it came time to actually try something different in order to find people, most jws were unwilling - like trying street witnessing, etc. Many just wanted to go into territory and ring bells and write down not at homes all morning. They seemed to just be marking time.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Trotofax, you have every right to YOUR opinion on this board, fluff or not. Thanks for the article. I've printed it out so I can review later.

Ravyn, yeah 'passion' is the fitting word. I have a passion for work and playing sports not zeal.

Zeal without knowledge? As a high steel worker, your life and the life of others hinges on knowledge. The possiblity of something going wrong on any construction site is ever present.

Guest 77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit