Does the Watchtower has a suggestive (quota) on how much you should donate?

by run dont walk 10 Replies latest jw friends

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

With a possible fall out in the financial area, the watchtower "COULD" (probaly won't) be in for some hard financial times.

With all the new fancy building, printing presses, halls etc, etc, etc.

Now, I haven't been to a meeting in 15 years, I don't remember back then, but is there "an unwritten rule" (10% of your check) about how much money you should give to the WTS. That the congregation kind of follows ??????????

Do you think the Watchtower will lower themselves more and ask people to start giving more ???? (hey it works for Benny Hinn, Peter Popoff and the rest of the gang)

• Prisca
    Prisca

I was a JW all my life (faded when I was 30), and I never heard a suggested $ figure. The secretary would let us know when large bills were coming in (yearly insurance for eg) but there wasn't a set amount expected from us.

• Francois
    Francois

I never gave 'em a dime the entire time I was in. I wouldn't have the slightest idea.

francois

• blondie
    blondie

When I still attended, there were some sly ways they did suggest amounts.

One, when they still paid the health and car insurance for the CO and his wife, the congregation would be assessed around $5 per publisher. The congregation had to pay the whole amount regardless but they would announce that each publisher's "suggested" amount was $5.

Two, when they wanted to build or remodel a hall, they would take the total amount and divide it by publishers to give people an idea of how much they should "pledge" anonymously.

Third, for some time at the circuit assemblies, they would take the total amount needed to put on the assembly and divide it by the average number who attended and gave out that dollar amount as a "suggested" goal for each family. It used to be $5 per family member.

Fourth, when audiotapes, videotapes, CDs, etc., came out they "suggested" that donations reflect the cost of such things "in the world" naming amounts such as $75 for a videotape.

Blondie

• freedom96
    freedom96

I am suprised why they never went for the normal 10%.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I was an active JW for about 20 years - grew up in the cult - and I agree with Prisca and others - there certainly was NO suggested tithing in the congregations I attended, but the congregation was informed of what the bills were, which I can't criticise. I never gave very much - first, I was a youngster, second, I didn't have much to give. I am certain there were some in the congregation back then who were very generous and financially carried the rest of the cong on their back, so to speak.

Now that Armstrong's World Wide Church Of God has abandoned their practice of TRIPLE tithing (it boggles my mind what a great burden that placed on their flock) perhaps the WTS woould like to dust off the concept and cloak it in "new light"?

Imagine the EXODUS that would create!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I am suprised why they never went for the normal 10%.

Wait oh Jehovah, dear brother... he will reveal the new light on tithing in his own due time.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

When an assembly hall was built in our area they had a suggested amount per publisher. I believe it was 5 or 6 dollars canadian.

• BadJerry
    BadJerry

I too have heard the suggested amounts that each publisher could contribute. Hearing them compare it to the price of a movie or pizza that a family would spend, saying they could give that up for a contribution.'

One time it was comparing the cost we would spend going to a concert to donating that price for a three day convention.

from IMANALIENTO logging on to hubbys ID

• KGB
    KGB

I remember one time I was ordering like a dozen watchtowers and awakes every 2 weeks and a elder seen how many I was getting, He came up to me and said that I was going to have to pay 0.25 cents for each one of those magazines so you know what I did ? I handed them all to him and said here now you have to pay for them and walked away. hahahahaha

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit