Creation Stories

by JosephAlward 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

And I think very few pieces are on the level of Grimm's fairy tales - but I think much is on the level of stories that are passed down - as are found in certain cultures.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I don't believe a word in Genesis about creation. Just another myth or fairy tale.

Robyn

• rem
    rem

A Paduan,

So what is the 'truth' that we get from the historically inaccurate creation stories in the bible? What is the value of such stories for our day, other than entertainment? How does this make the bible any more valuable than any other ancient spiritual writing? It seems to me if your standards for 'belief' are so low, you should be a believer in the Hindu Vedas, the Koran, the Egyption book of the dead, the Book of Mormon, the writings of David Koresh, the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, etc.

rem

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

I try to look at things like a reasonable person. Religion is used to explain what is not currently explainable. How did we get here, why are we here, what happens after death. Nobody knows for sure, so different cultures come up with different answers. The Bible is just one of those cultures answers to these questions. At this time for western culture, it seems to be the predominant belief for those who accept religious answers. This in no way makes it more correct than other beliefs, like the Hindu Vedas, the Koran, the Egyption book of the dead or the Book of Mormon.

If you step back and look at it with a reasonable eye, its a book of passed down stories of one culture. Over time, the stories were probably embelished, just like any story today, to be more interesting. So there probably is some truth behind some stories, like people or places that really existed. Perhaps the battles really did occure. But there is no reason to believe that this book is something more special and hold more truth than any other holy book.

If people are to hold beliefs as undeniable truths, they better stand up to tests and proofs. I for one believe that by flipping the light switch in my office, the lights will come on if I pay my power bill. I also believe if they don't, there is probably something wrong. I also belive I ate spegetti for dinner last night. I believe this because I cooked it myself. But to believe something as undeniable truth that was read in a book that can't be proven, to kill and die for these beliefs, seems pretty sad.

Oh well, just my 2 cents.

Truthseeker1, of the doesn't-believe-everything-he-reads class

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    So what is the 'truth' that we get from the historically inaccurate creation stories in the bible? What is the value of such stories for our day, other than entertainment? How does this make the bible any more valuable than any other ancient spiritual writing? It seems to me if your standards for 'belief' are so low, you should be a believer in the Hindu Vedas, the Koran, the Egyption book of the dead, the Book of Mormon, the writings of David Koresh, the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, etc.

I do believe there is more than entertainment value in the stories of many cultures - and that they reveal truths about the human condition, about us - eg Jacob's wound can be seen in other stories - heroes with their certain wound - the Medussa or a woman in the forest, the female/mother type who doesn't let the children go - the terrible father who imposes guilt - there are many many things revealed in these stories - truths of things.

I don't get into J. Smith or D. Koresh for that though - maybe it works for some, I really don't know - but biblical stories do it for me, and in an overwhelming way.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I'm open to the possibilty that Gennie 1 and 2 were written by two authors; though I have not ruled out Moses as the writer of both chapters and the rest of the book.

I am also exploring evolution as more than simply 'theory'.

I am also open to Genesis as being full of fairy tales, because, to be honest, when I read it, that's the impression I get - it reads like a fairy tale.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit