The WTS, Downsizing and Contributions.

by hillary_step 32 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello,

As most of you may have gathered, the past couple of years have seen some major downsizing in WTS expenditure, not just overseas but in the US and Canada, including the sale of some buildings. Building projects have been shelved, some half-way completed. Every congregation around the world was instructed to upgrade Kindgom Halls, probably for the purposes of asset protection, as the Trustees of KH’s are only trustees *for* the WTS. Last year for example I noted that even light-bulbs were being switched to those of less demanding power, personnel were sent home, many very disgruntled, from many Branches, WT had began to out-source some of its catering, and there was even talk of some printing being out-sourced. The WTS, most importantly, has also seen one of the most draconian changes to its Corporate structure this century.

That only a few Branches around the world are in profit has never been a secret. The USA, Canada, the UK, Japan, Germany and previously France were profitable as well as one or two Scandinavian Branches. The profits from these Branches subsidized the rest of the World, Africa and South America for example are almost totally subsidised.

As contributions fell, ( some insiders are convinced that the reason for this was the huge amount of cash spent in building Patterson as many JW's wrote to Brooklyn in protest at the vast expenditure ), and with court cases looming the WTS was forced to look at its accounting in a new light. I noticed for example in that the 2001 IBSA contributions ( kindly sent to me by a poster on this Board ) for the UK were $24,132,756 ( converted from English pounds ) while that donated in 2002 was $18,622,570, a fall of approximately 20%. This represents a worrying scenario for the WTS, especially if it is being repeated in the other profitable Branches.

Normally, the WTS relies on the talents, not of those most able but those most 'spiritually qualified' - i.e. those who have kept their nose clean ( at least in one way ) to take care of its needs and its accounting was no exception to that rule. However it seems that the WTS did the unthinkable. It actually bought in outside accountants *not* JW's who looked at the WTS books and running operations and advised a dramatic restructuring of the WTS, its finances and its corporate structure. This seems to be behind the many changes that the WTS has undergone in recent months.

It also seems that the issue with the WTS and the French Government is not going in the favor of the WTS ( relayed to me by a very senior insider ) , who you might remember owe the French tax authorities the Direction Générale, over $68,000,000 + growing interest in back taxes, which the WTS have appealed at court in Europe. This would be a major financial blow the WTS who may fear that a tax-free future elsewhere is limited.

HS

• metatron
    metatron

Thank You for the info, HS

They really seem to have surprizing problems with their system of committee leadership. I get the impression of one committee

making decisions that are quickly negated by someone else. They tell kids to go to Bethel in a new brochure and then downsize

the place. Ray was right: "Followers of followers"

metatron

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello Metatron,

I think what has happened is that the leaks in the system are being plugged. They still have plenty of cash in hand but they are streamlining and moving the WTS into the C21st.

HS

• amac
    amac

HS -

It actually bought in outside accountants *not* JW's who looked at the WTS books and running operations and advised a dramatic restructuring of the WTS, its finances and its corporate structure.

Are you suggesting this MIGHT have happened or did it actually happen? I wouldn't be too surprised with all the other modernizations.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman
    However it seems that the WTS did the unthinkable. It actually bought in outside accountants *not* JW's who looked at the WTS books and running operations and advised a dramatic restructuring of the WTS, its finances and its corporate structure. This seems to be behind the many changes that the WTS has undergone in recent months.

Holy Spirit is providing new light to the "truly" anointed where it is most important! Their pocketbook!

Good to hear. lol

IW

• metatron
    metatron

Respectfully, I am very skeptical about statements about how rich they are. I think they may have a billion dollar asset

base, but I think their 'revenue' is far less. The whole picture of what they're doing doesn't make much sense to me.

I don't think they would make the cuts they've done unless they were pushed into it. Knorr hated the thought of

cheap paperback books. They tossed off a 120 year tradition of magazine subs.

There's more to this than meets the eye.

metatron

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Metatron,

They tossed off a 120 year tradition of magazine subs.

This is not the first time they cut subscriptions, that's been done before at least in the U.S.

IW

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Metatron,

There's more to this than meets the eye.

You may be right, I don't know. I do know that the person who gave me this information is in a position to know what has been done. His view is that the WTS is indeed beginning to lack funds, it is me that is skeptical about this...lol Perhaps they see the writing on the wall where future taxation is concerned. I have no doubt that if the WTS was taxed in the UK & the US, it would send them spiraling into a financial crisis.

If contributions are on the decline, as seems to be the case, then they certainly would work hard to reverse this loss.

Best - HS

• BeelzeDub
    BeelzeDub

: It actually bought in outside accountants *not* JW's who looked at the WTS books and running operations and advised a dramatic restructuring of the WTS, its finances and its corporate structure.

They had to bring in WORLDLY people to give them advice on how to improve the "SPIRIT DIRECTED ORGANIZATION"tm ?

Maybe the holy spirit is really directing these worldly accountents.

• metatron
    metatron

I think there was a forced interruption when Joe and his buddies when in the slammer but

other than that, I don't know. It's still a remarkable change, just to save money.

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit