Do demons flee from the name of God?

by ClassAvenger 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ClassAvenger
    ClassAvenger

Alright, I need a question answered, if possible with bible versicles. Do demons flee when someone pronounces God's name, Jehovah? I know this is a belief from the JWs, but I don't know on what it is founded, or if it is. I think that demons flee from the presence of God, but not when someone pronounces it. Can anyone answer with bible versicles please? Thank you.

• shamus
    shamus

Sorry, I can't answer that one... I believe that "demon attacks" are pretty rare, personally. We were taught in the borg to say the name Jehovah if ever attacked.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Here is some information for you to consider:

1974 Watchtower; Questions from readers:

Though true Christians today do not claim to have any superhuman or divinely given demon-exorcising power, this does not mean that they cannot help those who are suffering from demonic harassment. They can pray in behalf of such ones, not in an attempt to effect an instantaneous casting out of the demons, but that those so afflicted might gain the spiritual strength to resist demonic assault. True Christians can also point to what the Bible says about resisting wicked spirit forces. (Eph. 6:10-18) Then, those who believe themselves to be troubled by the demons must personally make the effort to become free from such harassment and must sincerely want to follow the Bible’s counsel. They can rest assured that Jehovah will bless their sincere and determined efforts. (Jas. 4:7) Case histories prove that many have thus been freed from demonic assault.

1977 Awake 5/22 pages 26-28

We are told in Scripture: "But after it became evening, people brought him [Jesus Christ] many demon-possessed persons; and he expelled the spirits with a word, and he cured all who were faring badly." (Matt. 8:16) So, Jesus did expel demons, and when this took place the person returned to a normal state of mind. Incidentally, there is a difference between demon possession and ordinary illness, for Christ cured both kinds of disorders.—Mark 1:32-34.

With what authority and power did Jesus expel demons? His authority was from Jehovah God, and by expelling demons from possessed persons, Jesus proved that he was God’s Anointed One, the Messiah. Though they did so unwillingly, the demons were forced to recognize Jesus’ authority. (Matt. 8:28-34) And really, how could they have resisted him? Under other circumstances, on the night of his betrayal, Jesus said: "Or do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father to supply me at this moment more than twelve legions of angels?" (Matt. 26:53) What success would a single demon, several of them, or even a legion of demons have in coping with such potential odds?—Luke 8:26-30.

Jesus left no doubt as to the power by which he expelled demons. The Gospel writer Luke tells us that Jesus expelled demons by "God’s finger." But what is the symbolic meaning of this? Matthew’s Gospel account makes this clear in indicating that Jesus expelled demons by ‘God’s holy spirit,’ or Jehovah’s active force. (Luke 11:20; Matt. 12:28) Jesus himself confessed that it was by God’s power that he was able to expel demons.—Mark 5:18-20.

Jesus Christ gave authority over the demons to his twelve apostles, and later to the seventy men that he sent out. Consequently, in the name of Jesus they were able to cure demon-possessed persons. (Luke 9:1; 10:1, 17) Even a man who was not personally accompanying Jesus, but did believe in him, was able to expel demons by the use of Jesus’ name. (Mark 9:38-40) After Christ’s death the apostles continued to have this power. For instance, the apostle Paul expelled a "demon of divination" from a slave girl.—Acts 16:16-18.

There are more articles I can look up for you if this doesn't help.

Katie

• donkey
    donkey

It's easier t answer like this:

If one of your imaginary friends is scaring you can you summon one of your other imaginary friends to kick the naughty imaginary friends ass?

Or

Try banging your head on the wall....they are all in there and perhaps a good shaking will make them all behave for a while.

Jack

• onacruse
    onacruse

donkey:

If one of your imaginary friends is scaring you can you summon one of your other imaginary friends to kick the naughty imaginary friends ass?

LOL; that's spot on.

Too many demons, angels, and gods in this world, eh?

Craig

• Maverick
    Maverick

I don't think so, they seem to have set up a happy home at J-dud Central. Maverick

• metatron
    metatron

The tetragrammaton /Yahweh has long been used in magical spells and incantations.

AND the term "Watchtower" has a special meaning in Enockian Magic.

Polynesians fought demons by calling on their A'maukua ( trustworthy parental spirit)

Born-agains shoo off demons with Jesus' name. I really think its the faith and determination rather than the name.

metatron

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Demons flee when you turn the light on.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

For a group of people who claim to have no superstitions, they have an awful lot of superstitions.

For example, they refuse to say the word "luck". But, if they truly believed that luck doesn't exist, then why have a prohibition on the word? Does saying "luck" bring bad luck?

It is common knowledge in JW folklore that saying "Jehovah" will cause demons to flee. They consider it to be basically an amulet that will repel bad spirits. It seems to be based on a combination of belief in the power of God and a belief in the magical power of specific words. Again, it is just a superstition.

Realistically, though, since demons are just pretend, then I suppose that a pretend remedy would be just the thing to get rid of them.

• integ
    integ

I believe in demons, also God. The name Jehovah scares away demons...When I was akid I was having what I considered to be demonic attacks...I said Jehovah out loud...And I could tell whatever "force" there was tormenting me...had fled. That's my experience. It does'nt mean that the Watchtower is right, it just means that for some reason the name Jehovah I think has some thing going on with it....Or maybe It was my faith in IT. Or maybe I should get back on thorazine.

Integ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit