Is it possible that someone who gives really gushing comments might still be awake?

by Isambard Crater 15 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I have to admit that I was the "salvation" of many a conductor. If it looked like they were hanging there waiting for someone to raise their hand, I would raise mine. Even after I stopped attending, when I ran into him, he said he really missed my comments.

There were 2 of us that consistently saved the conductor, but waited until it was tense.

The year I was "awake" before I finally just stopped going, I would answer ones that were not doctrinal and answer ones that made a point.

Example: I counted how many elders, their wives, ministerial servants, their wives, and pioneers, I come up with 25 people and there are 19 paragraphs. I would love to hear these people comment more and share their wisdom and experience with us and their love for God and Jesus.

-------------Things picked up and no, I was not taken back to the back room and chastised.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

I know a frequent commenter and regular pioneer in my hall, a very vocal and active JW, who referred to Anthony Morris as "tight-pants Tony" in a group conversation of JWs, a term I've only seen used among ex-JWs.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

This happens in North Korea, as it happened in Jim Jones's cult in Guyana, and in Nazi Germany. Come across as a "true believer" so you'll be left alone. Hey, you might even start believing it if you do it often enough.

I have a good friend who is mentally "out", but regularly attends for reasons of family and he says he gives glowing comments but trying to discreetly plant doubts.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I have to admit that I was the "salvation" of many a conductor. If it looked like they were hanging there waiting for someone to raise their hand, I would raise mine. Even after I stopped attending, when I ran into him, he said he really missed my comments.

There were 2 of us that consistently saved the conductor, but waited until it was tense.

That was me very recently. I was visiting a congregation where virtually no one knew me, and on top of it the CO was visiting (not for his visit, but it was where he chose to attend during his "vacation"). There was absolutely no support from the audience and time-and-time again both me and CO would wait and wait seeing if any hands went up...finally one of us would raise our hand and save the conductor. It was a bit like a ping pong match with the mic runner between us...we'd wait (enough time to scan the paragraph and question since I really hadn't been paying attention), make eye contact and one of us would slowly raise a hand. Honestly, A.) I truly felt bad for the poor guy on stage, and B.) I just wanted to keep the meeting going so I could get the heck out of there.

Like anyone who grew up with their father as the WT and/or BS conductor, you gain a sixth sense when you realize he needs help (even if you're sitting in the front with most of the congregation behind you).

EDIT: I sometimes throw in references to the monthly broadcast...of course I never mention that I've only seen it because I visit here.

• compound complex
    compound complex

I've mentioned these things before, but they seem apropos once again:

In one congregation, although I was never once given an official explanation, I was not called on by certain elders. This happened even when mine was the only hand up. In an oblique reference that I know was aimed at me, the WT conductor said, during the study, that someone may give good comments but actually be an apostate.

Later, in a different congregation, I was asked specifically by the WT conductor to raise my hand so that he could see it. My hair was very long and I had a full beard (still do). I would go into full JW-talk-and-walk mode, quoting relevant Scripture and publication references, as well as relating field experiences.

I didn't feel the hypocrite; it was deeply ingrained as part and parcel of my life since early childhood. I hadda keep the gush factor under control, however. I'm an ardent Mediterranean and bounce off walls and innocent bystanders.

• waton
    waton

I like to give a real loud clap, ( and I have great power in my labouring hands) for any anouncment, but particularly when a speaker leaves the platform, high time he steps down.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit