Interesting show on Australian TV last night about religion

by HalfWayThere 10 Replies latest jw friends

• HalfWayThere
    HalfWayThere

I haven't posted on here in ages, though I read the board quite often, but I thought the following was worth meantioning....

There was a show on SBS last night called "Insight". I didn't catch all of it, but it was about churches such as Hillsong (www.hillsong.com) that, in their teachings, encourage their members to acquire wealth and financial success. The report mentioned how that church had just completed a AU$25M convention hall, and how the head pastors all live luxuriously because of the church's success. One disturbing scene was footage of the Australian Prime Minister John Howard opening the convention hall, and the Head Pastor thanking him for taking time out of his busy week to visit them (blah blah blah). Its sickening to hear churches suck up to politicans like that. (Pictures --> http://www.hillsong.com/church/building/bin/view.pl?sitename=building&page=opening&showbuilding=true)

The most interesting part of the program was a comment from a researcher who is writing a book about churches that gain finanically from their tax-free status without giving anything back to the community in the way of charity. He said (paraphrasing from memory here) that there are churches that have been operating in Australia for quite some time, with members numbering in the 60 to 70 thousand, whose collected donations remain tax-free, and that the wealth of these churches will only continue to grow, yet they do nothing to put that money back into the comminuty by doing charitable work. To me it almost sounded like he was speaking of the WTS in Australia, as they have around that number of publishers. It was quite a good observation for him to make and I think it would be an effective way to hurt the WTS by getting that info out to relevant government departments here in oz.

Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to catch the name of that researcher, or the name of the book he is writing. Perhaps he'll make meantion of the WTS in it? The show is being repeated at 4pm today (Friday). Maybe someone in oz can watch/tape it and get that info, as I'll be stuck at work.

Owen (HalfWayThere)

• hippikon
    hippikon
    Its sickening to hear churches suck up to politicans like that.

I think it's even more sickening to see politicans suck up to churches.(Which fits John Howards profile). I don't think the Govt is to concerned about "Rich Churches" because they pay GST on everything they spend and they don't care if the money goes back into the community in the form of charity or a $25m "Assembly Hall".

• Litebriterstill
    Litebriterstill

Very interesting HalfWay. There are many groups out there using the guise of charitable org.. We adopted from China with a group in Denver. The owners of this Adoption agency are Chinese. They moved from a hut to a mansion within a few years selling Chinese children. The US is getting plenty kickback as well. Great place the America.

• Curious Mind
    Curious Mind

Sorry Halfway only saw your post at 4.55 in Adelaide which is a shame, that sounded interesting.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Drats, I missed it. Oh well, I don't own a video-recorder anyway, so there is nothing I could have done about it!

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

What kind of wierdo doesnt own a video recorder ? How do you live?? What do you do to occupy your time ??? ( maybe youd better not answer that last question )

• m0nk3y
    m0nk3y

HAHHA I was thinking the same thing refiners

I would die if is didnt have a video recorder / dvd player, I would die.

monk3y

PS I cant beleive I wasted my 200th post by taking the piss outta prisca .. DAMN U FARKEL

• Prisca
    Prisca

LOL @ Refiner - no, I'd rather not answer that!

@ m0nk3y - nanah-nanah-nah!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day HalfWayThere,

I'm not so sure you can class Hillsong ïn such a negative light. Mrs Ozzie and I have attended a Hillsong service and, although it's not óur 'cuppa tea', I have to acknowledge that they're reaching the young folks, and by the thousands too. Non-Australians may not be aware, but Hillsong operates a very successful christian music business, with CDs aplenty. Some are rather good and have contributed to the wealth of christian music available. Non-aussies may not be aware too that their CDs are the top sellers of all music in the land of Oz. It really is big!

Does this make it wrong? Not necessarily, even if it does have overtones of the borg for me, and we have to measure it against its message which from what I saw was a gospel message.

Like I say, it's not for me, I guess I'm too traditional!

Cheers, Ozzie

P.S. good to see you posting again. keep it up!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Philip Powell was extensively quoted on the show. Here are a couple of articles on his own website:

http://www.christian-witness.org/archives/van2000/houston1.html

http://www.christian-witness.org/archives/van2002/houston2_15.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit