by blondie 38 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie
    www.sfgate.com Return to regular view

Judge OKs release of sexual predator
    Convict praised for progress in therapy
    Charlie Goodyear, Chronicle Staff Writer Thursday, June 5, 2003
    ©2003 San Francisco Chronicle | Feedback

URL: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2003/06/05/BA66959.DTL

A Contra Costa judge has cleared the way for the release of a violent sexual predator who could be freed from a state hospital within the next month, authorities said Wednesday.

Judge John Minney's ruling last week came after Cary Verse's doctors testified that the 32-year-old convict was ready to live in public again under terms of California's sexually violent predator law.

"If anything, there was more evidence presented that is supportive of his conditional release," prosecutor Brian Haynes said Wednesday.

Verse has been held at Atascadero State Hospital in San Luis Obispo county since 1998. He has a history of sex crimes, most recently the 1992 sexual assault of a man at a homeless shelter in Richmond.

While in treatment at Atascadero, Verse won consistent praise for his progress in therapy. A chemical castration device has been implanted in his arm, and upon his release, his movements will be monitored by a global positioning system.

Verse is among the first of hundreds of sexually violent predators in California to qualify for release. A Santa Clara County court has granted release to sex offender Brian DeVries, but public objections have stymied attempts to find suitable housing for him.

Lawyers will be back in court today for an update from the state Department of Mental Health on possible housing options for Verse in Contra Costa County.

Haynes said finding Verse a place to live would be a challenge, as it has been in similar cases. A devout Jehovah's Witness, Verse has asked to live in the Martinez area close to a church where he can practice his faith.

Verse's attorney, Contra Costa Deputy Public Defender Ron Boyer, declined to comment Wednesday, citing issues of confidentiality and privacy.

E-mail Charlie Goodyear at [email protected].

©2003 San Francisco Chronicle | Feedback

• sf
    sf

ROFLOLOLOLOL!!

He wants to be ABLE to....practice his pedophilia...I mean his faith.

ROFLOLOLOL...What about the kids who must now have to live around and/ or near him?

And it seems he will be welcomed back in this cong he mentions above? BACK NEAR CHILDREN.

Good gawd!! This judge must be a lover of children too...bet he dreams about them as much as the vile perps he puts away; then let's out. It's as if these judges and attorneys get off in the court room listening to the details. Bet the mens restrooms in most courthouses have pretty sticky walls and floors. Just a guess.

God, I am so sick of professed men running this damned world. You get to do whatever you want, to whomever you want; as long as you got some sort of label attached to you.

And Bowen ain't no peach. I guess it's okay to tape his conversations too then if it's not illegal. And those of abuse victims, without THEIR KNOWLEDGE. Seems no one is the wiser either. Perfect!

Nor are any of those men up in New York; both sides of that bridge.

• detective
    detective

practice his faith... and go door to door. Great.

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

"...a church close by where he can practice his faith". Going door-to-door by himself or with a "chaperone" that probably won't have a clue about his background. I truly believe in the path of recovery, but once again must admit that the J.W. ideology fits in nicely with someone needing to perpetuate his sickness as opposed to real progress. Thanks for the post.

• nilfun
    nilfun

Depressing and scary.

I think if I were living in this area I would go to the local law enforcement (sheriff or police? I forget which) and look up his photo under Megan's Law so that I would be able to recognize him when he came a-knocking.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Thanks for the update Blondie.

The thought of this guy going door-to-door is chilling. I don't care if he's been castrated or he's being GPS monitored.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Ok, I agree he is the scum of the earth.

But the question reminds, what do you do with people like these? Is it the "unforgivable sin," to be locked up forever, or should there be a chance of rehabilitation? Did he became a Dub while in prison, or was he a Dub when arrested?

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday
    A devout Jehovah's Witness, Verse has asked to live in the Martinez area close to a church where he can practice his faith.

Looks like I will be taking a trip up to the Bay area....so that I can go door to door.Does anyone have a picture of this freak of nature?? Would be much appreciated.

Thi Chi....I have many friends that work at Atascadero state hospital. NO...they cannot be rehabilitated.Once they get the "taste for blood" there is no going back.

• blondie
    blondie

ThiChi, it sounds like he became a JW while in prison...just a feeling.

Yes, they have to follow the laws of the state regarding prisoners, but I wonder if his neighbors and the congregation will be told about his past.

Some guy depending on chemicals to keep his "urges" in check is scary to me no matter what his religious affiliation.

A chemical castration device has been implanted in his arm, and upon his release, his movements will be monitored by a global positioning system.

It reminds me of a man released in the Midwest who had killed his mother and several others with a baseball bat. The doctor treating him said he was ready to be released, that he was only dangerous when he lost his temper!!!!!

Blondie

• rocky220
    rocky220

Will the nightmare ever end?rocky220

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit