Former JW, Brenda Thornlow, named as winner in '50 Great Writers You Should Be Reading' book awards

by AndersonsInfo 7 Replies latest jw friends

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

http://www.nbcrightnow.com/story/34294746/brenda-thornlow-author-of-my-shortlived-life-at-being-perfect-named

Brenda Thornlow, Author Of 'My Short-Lived Life At Being Perfect', Named As Winner In '50 Great Writers You Should Be Reading' Book Awards

Posted: Jan 19, 2017 2:29 AM CST

Brenda Thornlow, a former Jehovah's Witness, writes about being forbidden from celebrating holidays, birthdays and associating with anyone outside of her faith. From a young age, she struggles to accept what her devout family believes, to no avail. Eventually marrying an abusive member with a position of authority in her church, Brenda struggles to extricate herself from this dominating religious group who attempt to manipulate her into staying married to her abuser.

​​

http://www.nbcrightnow.com/story/34294746/brenda-thornlow-author-of-my-shortlived-life-at-being-perfect-named

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Now all we need is "Watchtower - The Musical". Problem is you can never finish the script because JW teachings are contantly changing.

• Life is to short 2
    Life is to short 2

Thannls Barbara, this looks like a very great read. It might be good for me to take a break.

LITS

• LV101
    LV101

Thanks, Barbara.

jwleaks is absolutely right, however, we can always count on their abuse of women and children for the script.

• blondie
  • smiddy
    smiddy

Thanks barbara its good that books like this are getting out in the general public and the author is getting an award for her work .

Its the wider community that needs to be informed just how cultish this religion is and is in no way is to be considered another mainstream christian religion.

And thanks to you brenda Thornlow for publishing your life experience .

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

After reading some of the comments posted on this site, I think that many of you could write a book about your life as a jw and get it published. The things that happened, the things we believed, and the things we did as 'captives of a concept' are unbelievably interesting to others!

just saying!

• under the radar
    under the radar

Thanks once more, Barbara, for posting something interesting to lots of us who might have otherwise missed it.

I bought Brenda's book when it was first released on Amazon. She is an excellent writer with a great sense of humor and the admirable ability to laugh at herself and be completely open about her own foibles and mistakes.

Brenda's book is very entertaining and instructive at the same time. I think many here would enjoy it as much as I did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit