"Lord Lord did we not prophesy in your name and expel demons in your name?"

by truthseeker 13 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I would like to know if anyone can help me with this question. Presumably in the last days when Jesus arrives as Judge and executioner, he says the famous scripture, "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and expel demons in your name and perform many powerful works in your name? And then I will confess to them, 'I never knew you, get away from me you workers of lawlessness'"

This being the case, how would someone or an organization be able to expel demons in Jesus' name if they are not approved by Jesus?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I could be wrong but if the demons want you to believe you are a foloower of Christ they could fool you into thinking you were actually doing something - wolves in sheep's clothes comes to mind

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Interesting point Lady Lee. In the Bible, some of Jesus' disciples see a man expelling demons by use of Jesus' name, yet Jesus never commanded that man to join him or an organization. Does this mean that Jesus approves of those actually doing his will no matter what organization they are in?

• DJ
    DJ

Hi truthseeker,

That was always a scary verse to me. The jw's used it to prove that Jesus' name was no longer capable of driving out demons and that Jehovah was the name we needed. That is not what is meant....grrrrrrr It took me years to see that! I do think that the wt prophecies in Jesus' name (1914) falsely.

I think that some tv evangalists who smack people's foreheads come to mind.....?? It is not for us to judge. Calling them workers of lawlessness means iniquity or sin, right? Obviously, Jesus is referring to false prophets and people who don't really cast out demons, because he call them workers of lawlessness, which means to me that their lives are full of unrepenant sinning. This verse no longer scares me.....!!!

As far as the other people who cast out demons in the bible besides the apostles....I know what you mean and Jesus says something about them.....how it won't be long until they follow him..?? something like that...where is that verse?? I can't remember and am too lazy to look it up.lol. love, dj

• Francois
    Francois

I really believe that means that even though they expelled demons in his name and did other works, they did those works absent sincere love for truth, beauty and goodness...just like the WTBTS acts today.

It does many things, among which is the accumulation of massive amounts of money, with which it could take care of widows and orphans. Does it? Hell no.

And add to that their slick scheme of having the brothers in the congregations in menial jobs arranged by virtue of their "no college" policy scrimp and save to pay for a KH, title to which reverts to the economic giant WTBTS when it's payed for. If that's not skinning the sheep, I'm the Virgin Mary.

If the Master were to return this very minute it is my sincere belief that the GB and all leadership in the JWs would be told to vamoose, that he never knew them.

francois

• jgnat
    jgnat

The scriptures in question,

Not every one who says to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but he that does the will of my Father who is in the heavens. Many shall say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied through *thy* name, and through *thy* name cast out demons, and through *thy* name done many works of power? and then will I avow unto them, I never knew you. Depart from me, workers of lawlessness.(Mat 7:21-23 Darby)

I take this to mean that people can claim to be God's representative, but if they do not follow His will, all the showy fireworks will come to nothing.

Then shall he say also to those on the left, Go from me, cursed, into eternal fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: for I hungered, and ye gave me not to eat; I thirsted, and ye gave me not to drink; I was a stranger, and ye took me not in; naked, and ye did not clothe me; ill, and in prison, and ye did not visit me. Then shall *they* also answer saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungering, or thirsting, or a stranger, or naked, or ill, or in prison, and have not ministered to thee? Then shall he answer them saying, Verily I say to you, Inasmuch as ye have not done it to one of these least, neither have ye done it to me. And these shall go away into eternal punishment, and the righteous into life eternal. (Mat 25:41-46 Darby)

...and what is God's will? That we do good to the least favored in our society. We must get down and dirty where people live. Again, lip service (But We Are The Only Organization Declaring The Proper Name of Jehovah) doesn't count.

Whosoever shall receive one of such little children in my name, receives me; and whosoever shall receive me, does not receive me, but him who sent me. And John answered him saying, Teacher, we saw some one casting out demons in thy name, who does not follow us, and we forbad him, because he does not follow us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not; for there is no one who shall do a miracle in my name, and be able soon after to speak ill of me; for he who is not against us is for us.(Mar 9:37-40 Darby)

In other words, it is impossible to do a good deed without being on Jesus' team. Whether you formally joined or not.

• DJ
    DJ

Thanks jgnat, the last verse that you quoted is the one I was thinking of...I still don't get it. It seems that they must have belonged to Christ already even tho.....they weren't known by the apostles.. Is that your thinking too? How could someone cast out a demon in His name if they didn't know Him? I do agree with truthseeker that it was a way for Jesus to teach that differing groups (denominations) can belong to Him becaus it is the heart that matters not the building that you attend.Notice the apostles starting to act as though just because they didn't know those people meant that they weren't Christians who should be casting out demons in Jesus' name?? Sounds like the modern day mistake that many still make, doesn't it? love, dj

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yes, I agree with you DJ, the apostles were starting to get territorial. Jesus told them not to worry about it. When people are doing the right thing, they end up being "for you" regardless.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

DJ, that's how I always understood that scripture too. I looked at it as the apostles felt elevated above others because they were part of Jesus "entourage". I don't think Jesus care whether you were a part of the entourage or not. Just keep doing what he commanded - LOVE ONE ANOTHER!

• Bibbitybobbityboo
    Bibbitybobbityboo
    I really believe that means that even though they expelled demons in his name and did other works, they did those works absent sincere love for truth, beauty and goodness...just like the WTBTS acts today.

I agree wholeheartedly! JW's are fantastic at works but suck at love.

I can picture a JW saying to Jesus: "Lord, did I not put in 90 hours a month preaching, place 25 magazines a week and attend all the meetings in your name?" ... I see Jesus looking over at the poor and lonely sheep that were cast off, uncared for by the WTS and saying "What does that matter to me? I told you to love one another."

Real Christian works are manifestations of love to further Jesus' interests. JW works are hollow methods to further the society's interests.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit