The Cult and bottle trees

by blownaway 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blownaway
    blownaway

The origin of the bottle tree is to catch evil spirits. So to dream catchers. I remember a talk back in the early 70s or maybe late 60s that was about Dubbers did not have wind chimes. That they were used to keep spirits away.

• stillin
    stillin

Wind chimes are OK now. The demons have bigger fish to fry. The Witnesses realized that it wasn't working anyway; the evil spirits kept coming. So they figure, why not accompany them with a pleasant sound?

There have been some highly opinionated public speakers on the platform.

No fortune cookies when we go out for Chinese!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Just one of the many nonsensical aspirations from the acceptance of spirits, evil or good.

Old used furniture could hold evil spirits, going to or entering a church other than a Kingdom Hall.

the list goes on and on.

There is superstition ingrained in the JW religion to be realized.

• charonsdog
    charonsdog

I remember getting pretty pissed at my mom because she took it upon herself to throw away a heavy, ceramic mortar and pestle I got from an estate sale, because she didn't know what it was and it had "strange" figures on it. (It was from somewhere in Asia and simply had different alphabet characters that she didn't understand)

• blownaway
    blownaway

Are you joking about the fortune cookies?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I was also not allowed fortune cookies.

They contained the word Fortune, so it must be spiritistic!😩

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Are you joking about the fortune cookies?

Yes I remember that too.

There is contrite stupidity in superstition .

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

When I was still in we took the visiting speaker out to lunch at a Chinese restaurant. After the meal the waiter gave us a bunch of fortune cookies. Everyone grab one to eat except the speaker. He was outwardly upset that we was eating them. He said he refused the cookies because it was spiritistic and we should also have refused them. He was such a kill joy. Still Totally ADD

• stillin
    stillin

We used to add the words "in bed" to whatever the fortune cookie said. Imagine your public speaker/stick-in-the-mud observing a table full of Witnesses giggling about their coming good fortunes!

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Imagine your public speaker/stick-in-the-mud observing a table full of Witnesses giggling about their coming good fortunes...IN BED!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit