2018 Regional Convention program available on JW.borg
9:40 SYMPOSIUM: Future Events That Will Require Courage
The Cry of “Peace and Security!” (1 Thessalonians 5:2, 3)
We all went through this in the 1970's. This scripture was embedded in our brains. What fear we had when Jimmy Carter gave this speech. We didn't think we had much time. Forty years later, they are still using this scare tactic!
Peace and National Security Address to the Nation on Soviet Combat Troops in Cuba and the Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty.
October 1, 1979
I want to talk with you about the subject that is my highest concern, as it has been for every President.
That subject is peace and the security of the United States.
Jimmy Carter - LOL.
I remember, quite specifically, a teenage JW telling teenage JW me that he was absolutely certain that Ronald Reagan would be the one to "start the Great Tribulation" after his election in 1980.
38 years later.....still waiting!
the longer they continue to compare themselves to old testament characters that probably never existed the more stupid they portray themselves, FFS, cant wait for the Sunday morning symposium more madness and dashed hopes, just think how much money they've wasted on those crazy slick videos; the bunker, the Gap attired group waiting for their resurrected mates in the new world, Sparlock the Wizard and his psychotic mum,thankfully even the R&F are waking up, slowly but surely.
I now see conventions as opportunities for the org to counter things that affect it negatively. I can imagine org higher-ups, being aware of "apostate" opposition, looking for ways to incorporate into convention parts material countering opposition activities and arguments.
When looking over the program, I was seeing opportunities for the org to defend/protect/promote itself while attacking its detractors without addressing the well-reasoned arguments they present.
I'm seeing a lot of openings for them to make points like "Cowardly apostates, with their evil, Satanic lies, will have no success against God's courageous people and organization."
They're going to use the words "cowards" and "cowardly" a lot of times to describe apostates, and they're going to stress how God's courageous people won't even be curious about what these cowards have to say. There will be more programming of JWs to close their ears & minds to anything that doesn't come from the org.
After this convention, to my JW relatives, not only will I be a pitiful, stumbled, weak, misguided loser, but I will also be a coward, and they will be puffing their chests out feeling courageous.
“Best convention ever” “just what we needed” “food at the proper time” “come back to Jehovah before it’s too late”
different program same reaction from the rank and file. When is it never the best convention ever?
Sunday morning Symposium looks interesting. I might go only for that hour and a half.
I now see conventions as opportunities for the org to counter things that affect it negatively. I can imagine org higher-ups, being aware of "apostate" opposition, looking for ways to incorporate into convention parts material countering opposition activities and arguments. Magnum
Yeah, gone are the days of scripture proving doctrines.
My take on this convention - the WT has noticed trends that worry them.
- Enthusiasm for preaching, being moral and staying out of politics is definitely lacking.
- JW's are feeling despair, are becoming unhappy with the changes so they are complaining, are tired and missing field service to have fun (or maybe they aren't tired and don't care about FS) are finding better mates/friends in the world and the internet is wising some people up about the WT.
- Serious lack of sacrificing everything for the WT.
- Everyone in the congregation - new bible students to the "pillars" of the congregation, the elders - are finding it hard to peddle the word of god.
- The majority are lacking motivation
- They use cute animal stories and cute fairytale stories from far away places to encourage them to do more - but really it's to make them feel guilty for not doing enough
- P.S. Don't confuse courage with thinking for yourself.
- It's necessary to address the old that are in despair over Armageddon being farther away and the new ones who hope they will walk into Armageddon.
- You old timers - you get the consolation prize of the resurrection
- You new ones - you get the same story told to the old timers when they were young. Armageddon is just ahead!
Why didn't they just get down to brass racks and have a big "Us vs. Everyone else " and be done with it?
Also looking forward to the new twist of the hailstorm message. Likely this will be another thought provoking leading talk encouraging JWs to speculate themselves into a frenzy of LPA (loyalty proving activities,) resulting in new revenue streams and who knows what kind of shark jumping!