Dead at Sixteen

by COMF 15 Replies latest jw friends

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

This is such a tragedy. It's the time of year where we hear young people dying by drowning or accidents in our local lakes. My heart goes out to their families.

I am thankful for every day I am alive.

• Shakita
    Shakita

So sad.

I feel only the friends or relatives of the deceased should speak at the wake or service. At my Dad's funeral, I wrote the words eulogizing my father's life and my brother read it....I knew that I would never make it through.

Mr. Shakita and I lost a friend in our high school class. She was a vibrant and beautiful person, always smiling and one of those people who was a caring soul. Her funeral was full of music and lots of people who still seemed to be in a state of shock. She died of a heart condition, laying down on the couch one afternoon never to wake up. When a young person dies, the hurt is so painful and the void so deep, that I don't think that those that knew him/her will ever fully recover.

Mrs. Shakita

• Hamas
    Hamas

That's a sad story.

• Mary
    Mary

I can really feel for the family. I lost one of my siblings in a car accident years ago; he was killed by a drunk driver. We had been very close and he was younger than me, so it was especially devastating and I felt like I had lost a child. I still don't know how my mother got through it.

Seeing as my brother hadn't been attending meetings for a while, it was unclear as to whether or not they'd actually give him a "truth" funeral (gag, gag)..........they did, and the talk was fairly good, but there were many there who were quietly (and not so quietly) insinuating that my brother probably wouldn't "get a resurrection" because he had "left the truth".

I went ballistic on this one rotten sister who had been smugly and self-righteously belittling my brother to others. When I found out what she had been saying, and I told her to her face that I hoped there was a firey hell, because that's where she'd be going and I called her a back-stabbing bitch.

Be that as it may, a funeral, to me, is not a celebration of life, it is a time when you have to say good-bye to a loved one. You are in shock, you are depressed beyond belief and you are grieving worse than what you could ever imagine. It is comforting to have true friends and family around, but just as everyone else is forgetting, you are just starting to learn how to deal with your loss.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

((((((((((((((((((((Fred)))))))))))))))))))))))))

I am so sorry. If you were here in person I'd give ya a big squeeze. Funny how something like this can make such a whirlwind of emotions in us...even when we don't personally know the deceased. Please use this as an opportunity to tell your loved ones you love them!

Andi

• teejay
    teejay

Nice tribute to a young person you didn’t even know, COMF. Also interesting to note that not only JWs f**k up funerals. I can’t agree more with your analysis about the youngster’s short, unfulfilled life.

Two years ago here on this board I posted an excerpt from a book by Robert Fulgham that a friend had given me. All I can say is that Martha Carter set the ultimate standard for how to leave this place. If I can arrange for it -- if my wife (or whoever) has any regard at all for my wishes -- that’s the way I’m leaving. There is no other way...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit