Do Elders only verbally abuse women?

by aunthill 10 Replies latest jw friends

• aunthill
    aunthill

I have read many horror stories here, of elders demanding "Sister Sickly with 10 children, I know you have been in a coma for 6 months, but surely you have time to report. And, by the way, why haven't you been to a meeting?"

Comments please.

• minimus
    minimus

They suck!!!! When they "beat" the flock like that, it is disgusting. It PROVES that it's all about the numbers, then. I've heard elders "encourage" older ones, sick people and mentally unstable ones using this method. I would always follow up with, "Just do the best that you can. It's no wonder with all that you're going through that you can't do it all....."

• rocketman
    rocketman

Many elders, I believe, buy into the whole men-are-superior notion that the .org promotes. Plus, they're men. Thus, in many instances, men catch the break and women don't.

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

I have been verbally abused by the elders, brothers and sisters. They are all opinionated and suck. Elders said I was unloving because of the bloody Aids issue in my home. I informed all my close sisters. The brothers were so bossy I asked them if they talked to their wives this way fine, but not me. The bossy sisters who weren't even pioneers were critical of dress, hairstyle, ( I use to teach hair ) and just about everything else. We had families that didn't brush their teeth. When I couldn't stand the stench in field service and spoke to an elder, I was told to buy them groceries as a loving gesture and hide some toothpaste in with the lot.

• Litebriterstill
    Litebriterstill

OOps- I didn't mean to post under my daughter. Sorry Nicole....

• rocketman
    rocketman

Hey spunky, I used to notice that too - lots of mouth-oder problems, especially in service. I used to wonder what the householders thought.

One time I visited a certain hall to give a talk. Several people had lousy breath which I noticed as they approached me before or after the meeting. I thought man, here's a subject for a local needs talk.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

There were a few (very few) good elders I knew. They were loving and considerate, and were loved by almost everybody. Those, for some reason, didn't have a problem with sisters. The bad ones were always jumping on everything a sister said, to the point we avoided speaking to them at all for fear something we said would get us 'counseled'. Mysogynistic asses, every one. I've come to the conclusion they were intimidated by women and had to keep us 'beat down' for fear we'd try to take over.

My current motto: Only weak men are intimidated by strong women.

• obiwan
    obiwan

Well if they did it to any men they would get smacked down, that's why they only do it to women.

• shamus
    shamus

Very true - if they talked that way to me, I'd tell them right where to go... I did justabout one time, when that bastard grabbed and squeezed my arm - I ripped it out of his hand, as hard as I could... weiner.... (that was when I got the whole body of elders in trouble!)

Like my last post in your other thread, you could disappear for months at a time, if they didn't like you, and not care...

I'm glad that i'm free from their oppresive pharisee ways.... no more worries!

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

i knew and know a lot of elders who were kind to the sister in the cong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit